Helpful Information

A student sits outside the Schulich Med Sci building


The information below is a brief overview of resources available to all prospective and current students, and individuals looking to complete their fellowship through the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry at Western University.

For Fellowships:

  • PGME - Clinical Fellowship Resource Guide (Western)
  • College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO)
    • The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) will send out an information package with all the documentation required for a successful application. Your medical school will also have to certify your graduation with the CPSO. Your relevant local medical board in your state or country or origin is also required to complete
  • Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) - Medical Indemnity
    • You are required to become a member of the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA). For membership application forms, fees, changes and other membership services, please refer to their member self-service area.
    • Membership of the CMPA is expensive and the fees are published online. The membership fees are stated in Canadian funds for the full annual amount or can be paid in equal monthly payments. To set up a direct debit mandate, you will need to provide CMPA with a Void cheque from the account to be debitted. It is therefore necessary to open your new Canadian bank account first. You can commence the application process (application form, CPSO number and contact details) and payment upon your arrival in Canada.
    • The fees for registration with CPSO, CMPA and The University of Ontario need to be paid by the fellow.
    • Malpractice Reimbursement Program will reimburse approximately 85% of the CMPA membership.
  • The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC)
  • Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP)
  • University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP)

About London

Banking information for newcomers 

  • Most Canadians deal with one of the “big five” chartered banks which have extensive nation-wide coverage and many international services. These are Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC), Royal Bank of Canada (RBC), Toronto-Dominion Canada Trust (TD Canada Trust Bank), The Bank of Montreal (BMO) and Bank of Nova Scotia (Scotiabank).
    • Opening an account
      It is easy to open an account in Canada provided that you have funds in Canadian or US dollars and have appropriate identification. There are a variety of account types (savings, chequing, term deposits, etc.) which have differing fees, service charges and requirements. It is necessary to review these carefully before opening an account to make sure the account type matches your needs.
    • Transferring funds
      There are several ways to transfer funds to Canada:
      • A bank draft: We recommend that you obtain a bank draft in Canadian Dollars drawn on a Canadian Bank (e.g. bank drafts from the Bank of China are not accepted).  A bank draft or international money order drawn on an International Bank could take from 10 days to 6 months for processing.
      • Traveller’s Cheques in Canadian or US dollars.
      • HSBC allows you to open a bank account in Canda from an overseas locations.


Transportation in London