ORIoN - Oncology Research Internship
The Oncology Research Internship is an initiative led by motivated residents in the Radiation Oncology department at the London Regional Cancer Program. This program offers medical students an introduction to research through taking a leading role in all the steps of writing an oncology case report and submitting it for publication.
Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously participated in an ORIoN session.
- 1:1 resident to medical student coaching and support (with a staff oncologist overseeing each project)
- Take the lead in all stages of the process including:
- Conducting the literature review (with support from our oncology librarian, Gabe Boldt)
- Writing the report
- Submitting the manuscript for publication in a peer-reviewed journal (publication is not guaranteed)
- Opportunity to develop oral presentation skills
- Eligible for "Best Report" award at the conclusion of the session
- 2021 Application Deadline (EXTENDED): April 30, 2021
- Session dates: April to September
- The chart review will be completed on site at the LRCP over 1-2 visits in April - May (flexible)
- The rest of the internship can be completed remotely. Preferred method of communication can be arranged individually with the resident mentor.
Please submit your CV and a short letter outlining why you are interested in this application, and what you hope to get out of the experience (max: 250 words). Applications should be sent to Sondos Zayed (PGY- 3 Radiation Oncology Resident) at email@example.com by the application deadline (April 30, 2021) with the subject heading: "ORIoN Application".
- Application deadline - EXTENDED | April 30, 2021
- Applicant selection and pairing | May 2021
- Meet with resident mentor, discuss logistics and create a timeline | May 2021 - June 2021
- Complete chart review for case report on site at LRCP (flexible)
- Complete literature review, manuscript writing and submission for publication remotely or on site | May 2021 - October 2021
- End of session dinner for all participating residents, medical students and supervising staff. Participants will have an opportunity to present their case report. Certificates of completion and awards will be distributed | Date to be determined