Outgoing Electives

A Western University resident planning to undertake an elective at another medical school must get written permission from their current Program Director. The resident must follow the registration instructions of the destination medical school or institution as well as the regulations of the licensing authority and membership rules of the malpractice insurance carrier. The maximum length of the elective period is determined by the licensing authority of the elective location, the trainee's home program and the intended elective program. Trainees taking electives in the United States should ensure they have the correct traveling documents by contacting either Health Canada or the U.S. Department of State. Please note that CMPA coverage does not cover medical electives in the U.S.

Please note that if you are a sponsored resident, you will need written permission from your sponsor to do an elective off site. The letter will need to be sent to the PGME office.