The MPH Program will admit professionals who desire advancement in their knowledge in public health and/or who are preparing for leadership roles within public health. We accept students from a variety of backgrounds; we will strive for maximum diversity in the cohort of students. Both education and experience are important eligibility criteria. Competitive applications will include:
- A four-year undergraduate degree with a
minimum70% (Canadian equivalent) over the last 2 years of study
- Demonstrated awareness and interest of the public health profession's role in identifying and solving complex health problems (through work, volunteering, etc.)
- Demonstrated English language proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS Academic) if you have not studied at the post-secondary level for at least 2 years in an English speaking country (Canada, United States, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and Nigeria). See below for details.
- Recommended: Successfully completed undergraduate statistics course with a minimum 70% (Canadian equivalency) within the last five years
Please take a moment to review the application process to ensure you are fully prepared when completing your online application.
English Language Proficiency
Applicants whose first language is not English must furnish evidence of their proficiency in the use of the English language by a satisfactory achievement within the last two years in one of the following:
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The competitive score is 100 for the iBT with no individual score below
25;or 580 for the paper and pencil version. [Western's TOEFL ID is 0984].
- The International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) of the British Council (Academic). The competitive score is 7 out of 9 with no individual score lower than 6.5. The IELTS Academic is offered in 6 test centres in the US and 3 in Canada.
- The Duolingo English Test. Applicants must attain a minimum score of 115.
- The Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB). of the University of Michigan. Students must have at least 80 on each of the sections and an overall score of at least 85. Arrangements to write MELAB may be made online. Please note: The MELAB is no longer being offered by Michigan Language Assessment. However, Western University will continue to accept MELAB test reports that are newer than two years old as sufficient proof of English language proficiency.
- The Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL Assessment). The competitive overall score is 70 with 70 in both writing and
speaking .The CAEL Assessment is offered in several countries throughout the world as well as Canada.
- Western English Language Centre. The requirement is successful completion of the High-Advanced level.
- Fanshawe College’s ESL Program. The requirement is graduation from Level 10, Advanced Academic Preparation, with a minimum 80% in all components.
Students who are required to present evidence of proficiency in English must make their own arrangements to write the TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB or CAEL and to have the official results sent directly to the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies by the testing agency. Those who have completed the High-Advanced level at the Western English Language Centre must provide official proof of completion. Those who have graduated from Level 10 of the Fanshawe College ESL Program must provide official proof of graduation.
Admission to the MPH Program is highly competitive and possessing the minimum requirements does not ensure an offer of admission.