International Applicants

Admission Requirements

Up to four seats in the Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) Program are available for international applicants who must:

  • Satisfy the same admission requirements as national applicants.
  • Demonstrate English language proficiency.

Please visit the Admission Requirements webpage for detailed information about Academic and Non-Academic admission requirements.

English Language Proficiency

Applicants new to the English language, or who have not completed any postsecondary education in English, should write one of the tests listed below and request the organization to send the test results directly to Western's Professional Admissions Office by the application deadline.

Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) and Test of Written English (TWE)

Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB)

International English Language Testing Service (IELTS)

Financial Responsibility

International students must assume primary responsibility for financing their education. The Ministry of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada requires all international students to prove that they have adequate resources before they may be admitted to Canada.

Scholarships and other forms of financial aid are limited for international students. Consult educational authorities in your own country, as well as the Canadian Consulate, to determine if sponsorship through the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) is available. Commonwealth students may inquire about scholarships from the British Consulate. A bursary will normally be awarded only if there is evidence that circumstances have changed since arrival in Canada.

Information can be obtained through the Western International Office.

Immigration and Permission to Study in Canada

To obtain a visitor's visa to enter Canada and a student authorization granting permission to study in Canada, all non-Canadians must submit the following documents to a Canadian Consulate or Embassy outside Canada:

  • passport and travel documents, if applicable
  • medical clearance
  • letter of acceptance from a Canadian university
  • evidence of adequate funds
  • documentary proof of authority to transfer funds to Canada, if required
  • evidence of return passage or evidence that funds will be available for that purpose upon completion of studies
  • a letter from a sponsoring organization, if applicable

Note: A visitor's visa or student authorization WILL NOT be issued at the Canadian border or inside Canada. Both a visitor’s visa and a student authorization must be presented to border officials upon arrival to gain entry to Canada. For more information on these policies, visit the Government of Canada website.

Western’s International & Exchange Student Centre (IESC)

As part of the Western International Office, the International & Exchange Student Centre (IESC) offers year-round support services, programs and events for international students as well as their spouses and families. Programs and services include individual counselling, information and assistance with immigration and housing, academic skills training, and English conversation programs.

International students can take advantage of IESC's orientation and reception services, peer guide program, and a wide range of transition and social programs. Support is also offered for families of international students. For more information, contact or visit the IESC.

University Health Insurance Plan

As the Ontario government's residential health care program is NOT available to international students, Western University has arranged an insurance plan called the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) for international students.

UHIP is compulsory for all international students who wish to attend Western. Upon acceptance to Western, the University will provide UHIP information and an application that must be completed. The cost of purchasing UHIP for you and your eligible dependents is your responsibility and is not included in tuition fees.

In addition to UHIP, the University Students’ Council (USC) Extended Benefit Health & Dental Plan covers a portion of medication costs and services not covered by UHIP.