The following describes the teaching and resources that will be available to assist you in acquiring the necessary procedural skills for family practice.
One to two formal teaching sessions on procedural skills will occur during your 8-month family medicine block training at your home teaching site.
Opportunities to gain hands-on experience in procedural skills will be available during these teaching sessions as well as opportunities that arise during residency training in and out of the family medicine block training.
Each full-time teaching unit will have 1 copy of the following:
- Book: Pfenninger and Fowler's Procedures for Primary Care
- Videos: Multimedia Primary Care Procedures DVD, Online, and Pocket Procedures Manual
The above 2 resources will be used during formal teaching sessions and will be available to you during your family medicine block training.
Additional online resources are available at:
- CDC Immunization Toolkit
- Canadian Family Physician (CFP): Practice Tips
- Canadian Family Physician (CFP): Video Series
- Canadian Journal of Rural Medicine (CJRM): The occasional practitioner
- MD Consult (via CMA)
- Roberts: Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine, 4th ed.
- Habif: Clincal Dermatology, 4th ed.
- Gabbe: Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies, 5h ed.
- American Family Physician (AFP)
- Medical & Surgical Clinical Procedures, The Department of Emergency Medicine, The University of Ottawa