The Field Note is a tool that is used to:
- facilitate and document regular assessment and feedback that is provided to the residents
- track resident progress through residency and to ensure that all competencies are being assessed and met
It is required as an assessment method by CFPC Accreditation Standards
- A field note can be generated by either a faculty or resident
- A resident MUST have a minimum of 3 field notes per week during core family medicine training to graduate; extension of training may be required if this is NOT met. Residents are encouraged to complete field notes during off-service rotations.
- Residents are responsible to ensure that they have an adequate number of field notes generated
- A resident will record all procedures (including obstetrical procedures) as field notes