Need to Know - Residents

If you have questions during residency and are unsure whom to contact in the FM Postgrad Office, click here for a list of whom to contact for assistance.

Can I change a core or core selective rotation?

These rotations cannot be modified once scheduled.

Please find more information under "Rotation Changes" within the "Rotation Policy" webpage.

Can I change an elective rotation?

You can change an elective rotation by following the procedure under  Rotation Changes" within the "Rotation Policy" webpage.

When are the rotation changeover dates?

When booking time off, please look at the changeover dates in your one45 schedule. The changeover dates can also be found on the central PGME website. Blocks usually end on a Monday with the next block starting on a Tuesday (the exceptions are June & July - the academic year ends on June 30 and the new year starts July 1 regardless of the day of the week).  This may affect requests for time off.  During the changeover week, you will need to book the Monday off from one service and the remainder of the week from the next service.

How do I request time off from rotations?

The Service Contact List can be found in the Handouts & Links section of your eDossier in one45. You are in charge of contacting the service to request time off and, when approved, acquiring signatures for your time off requests at least 4-6 weeks prior to the commencement of the leave. All time off the call schedule (working days and weekends) should be indicated on the "Request for Leave" form. Once confirmed, this form should be sent to fmpgc@schulich.uwo.ca For London Medicine and General Surgery rotations, there are additional steps to request time-off. Please review the specific instructions on the Professional Leaves, Vacation, Religious Holiday Policy webpage.

Time off is approved once it appears in your one45 dashboard. If you have any questions regarding your vacation, please contact fmpgc@schulich.uwo.ca  .


How do I claim educational/conference expenses?

Original conference claim receipts, a completed travel expense form, and a certificate of attendance should be mailed to Ms. Pat Yong, Family Medicine, WCPHFM Bldg., 1st Floor, Western University, London ON  N6A 5C1 within one month of the incurrence of the expense. Please find the exact instructions on the Accommodation, Travel, and Conference Expense Policy webpage.

What do I do with the rotation evaluations?

For most blocks, one45 assessments will be sent out automatically to your preceptor; however, some rotations generate a to-do item for you to forward the form to the appropriate faculty member. For services with multiple attendings, please send the assessment to one attending only, the one with whom you worked most closely. Please ask your preceptor to complete your one45 assessment before you leave the rotation. As a resident, it is your responsiblity to find out which faculty member will be completing your assessment and keep up with your one45 to-do items. If you navigate to your One45 evaluation tab, you can see completed and outstanding evaluations. You also have the option to click the “p” beside the attending physician’s name to email the form to your preceptor. Completed forms can be emailed to fmpgc@schulich.uwo.ca

You will have the opportunity to review/confirm evaluations that have been completed by your attending.  Once the attending's evaluation has been completed on-line, it will appear on your "To Do" list.  Please note that you will have to complete the "Resident Evaluation of Rotation" or other outstanding forms before you can review an attending's evaluation of you.  As well, you cannot view the form until AFTER the end date of the rotation.

Where do I find the Hospital Forms for my upcoming rotation?

The Family Medicine Office will send letters of good standing automatically if they are required; however, it is important to check the requirements for  hospital & other forms on the website and check in with your rotation to ensure the necessary paperwork has been completed.Many hospitals require a form to be completed and that you will not be able to being your rotation until it is completed. Some hospitals have credentialing committees that review the forms and these committees do not meet regularly. It is your responsibility to ensure you have completed the necessary paperwork for the rotation at least two months prior to the rotation. Failure to submit completed paperwork may result in your being turned away by your rotation.


  1. Huron-Perth Healthcare Alliance (Clinton, Seaforth, Stratford, St. Marys) hospital forms.  The Huron-Perth Healthcare Alliance form asks for the Program Director or Postgraduate Coordinator to sign the form – this is not necessary as we send a good standing letter.
  2. Chatham requires the form to be signed by the Dept. of FM.  Please fax the form to 519-661-3878 for signature.

What is covered for Accommodation and Travel?

For further details please review the Accommodation & Travel Expense Policy. Submit your request for mileage reimbursement for core  rotations (c and cs) through MyFM according to the policyDistributed Education will cover mileage and accommodation for elective (e) rotations outside of London and within Distributed Education boundaries

Please note that Western University mileage reimbursement rates follow those provided by the Treasury Board Website and we refer to a standard mileage chart for most locations.  The travel request MUST be submitted within two months of the rotation's completion.

I have questions regarding symptoms or potential exposure to COVID-19. What should I do? 

Please follow the guidelines of the local public health unit, centre, or hospital. Our Central PGME Office also hosts a webpage with guidelines regarding COVID-19. If you are on a leave related to COVID-19, you are required to report this leave to the FM Office (fmpgc@schulich.uwo.ca

What steps do I need to take when organizing travel to a different country in context of COVID-19?  

Please contact the FM Office (fmpgc@schulich.uwo.ca) regarding any travel plans as there may be impacts to your residency to consider. Currently, those returning to Canada are required to quarantine on their arrival. You may be required to take an unpaid leave or vacation time to complete your travel plans. You will also need to consider quarantine policies of other countries in your trip. You can also contact your local public health unit, centre, or hospital for further information.  

When do I need to contact the Service for my upcoming rotations?

Please contact your service about a month in advance of the rotation.  Service contact info can be found in one45, in the Handouts & Links section of your eDossier.