History of the Department
The Department originated in 1939 as the Department of Bacteriology and Immunology in the Faculty of Medicine at Western University. In 1978 the name of the department changed to Microbiology and Immunology to reflect the breadth of competence in microbiology. In 1999 the 60th anniversary of the Department was celebrated with a symposium entitled "Challenges of Microbial and Immune Diseases in the Next Millennium". This milestone was followed in 2014 with the Diamond Jubilee Symposium to celebrate 75 years of achievements of faculty and alumni in teaching and research. The history of the Department up until that time can be found in the program from that event, available as a pdf file.