Academic Accomodation

Student on laptop

Learner Experience offers support to students and residents experiencing obstacles or barriers to academic success, such as personal crises, health problems and leaves of absence. Our office provides the mediation, flexibility and/or additional learning opportunities learners need to achieve their full potential. 

Learner Experience can arrange excused absences from mandatory small groups and classes, defer exams, and allow for leaves of absence. We also provide compassionate and confidential counselling for learners who may need to restructure their academic responsibilities or transfer in and out of programs due to health reasons, religious practices or personal circumstances.

If you have a documented learning disability, mental health issue or physical disability, we will work together with Western University’s Accessibility Services and your health care practitioner. 

You can download a copy of Western's Medical Certificate to bring to your appointment with your practitioner if you require time away from mandatory class or assessment time.  


Students registered in any year are expected to attend the courses of instruction and are required to take the examinations in all subjects prescribed for that year, unless permitted by the Assistant Dean, Learner Experience (Undergraduate).

To request an absence/accomodation for a mandatory session, or to review the attendance policy and conditions for exceptions, please visit the Undergraduate Medical Education website.

Essential Skills and Abilities Required for the Study of Medicine:

Pregnancy/Parental Leave Program

In accordance with an emphasis on progressive support services for our students and residents, Schulich Medicine & Dentistry acknowledges the need for individuals to have special arrangements made during the educational program for the purpose of Pregnancy/Parental Leave. Schulich Medicine & Dentistry strongly supports and encourages its students and trainees to take a full year for their Pregnancy/Parental Leave.  Students are advised to consult the Assistant Dean, Learner Experience (519.661.4234) and explore the best possible arrangements for the intended leave.


The University Ombudsperson, Ms. Jennifer Meister, provides an impartial service for all Western students who require assistance with academic or non-academic problems. She also assists students in reviewing their academic rights to appeal in substantial matters such as grades, fees, and OSAP. 

Location: Western Student Services Building, Third Floor, Room 3135
Phone: 519.661.3573.
Visit the Office of the Ombudsperson website for more information.