Clinical Anesthesia Fellowship Program, Western University
In light of the current COVID-19 Pandemic, International Graduates will be allowed to practice in Canada, so we encourage you to apply to Western Anesthesia's Fellowship Programs.
Message from the Fellowship Program Director
Welcome to the program,
Do you want to build onto your anesthesia foundation and further specialize? Consider one of our fellowships. We are always looking for talent. The Department of Anesthesia and Perioperative Medicine at Western University is pleased to offer ten different Fellowship Programs in a variety of subspecialties. These are accomplished across three sites, including University Hospital, Victoria Hospital and St. Joseph’s Health Care London.
About Our Program
All Clinical Fellows are registered through Western University, Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, Department of Medicine, Post Graduate Medical Education (PGE). You will have exposure to three unique hospital sites; University Hospital and Victoria Hospital of the London Health Sciences Centre, and St Joseph's Health Care London. However, you will be primarily working at one the sites depending on your fellowship of choice. You will also have access to a vast resource at Western Libraries.
The duration of a fellowship is 12 months up to a maximum of two years. An extension of a Fellowship longer than two years must be discussed and approved by the Fellowship Program Committee. Candidates are encouraged to apply at least 18 months prior to the start date of the fellowship. Fellowship Applications are reviewed by the Fellowship Program Committee and each Program Director for each of the subspecialities. Hiring decisions are made by the Fellowship Program Director, with input from all members.
Fellows are encouraged to be actively involved in resident, medical student and nursing education and are also expected to participate in anesthesia rounds. Fellows will have time allocated to attend specialty conferences.
You are expected to participate in a Research Project for which you can get dedicated academic time. It can be an ongoing research project or a new proposal. The research project should be discussed with the Program Director(s) and he/she will arrange mentorship as needed.
I am looking forward to your application!
NOTE: Fellowship training IS NOT credited by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons towards anesthesia specialty training in Canada.
Eligibility Requirements for Canadian and International Medical Graduates
- Candidates must possess a medical degree from a University recognized by the Medical Council of Canada (MCC)
- Candidates must have completed an anesthesia residency that is recognized by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO)
- International Medical Graduates do not need to write additional exams, but must be approved by the PGE Office at Western University
- English Language Requirement for IMGs: TOEFL-iBT required to achieve an overall score of no less than 93 with a minimum score of 24 in speaking; IELTS required to achieve a minimum score of 7 in each category.
- All non-Canadian trained anesthesiologists will be required to pass an assessment period taking place over the first 4 - 8 weeks in order to continue with the fellowship (‘PEAP’ – Pre-entry assessment period).
- Please refer to the Application and Requirements page for a more detailed description