Dr. Achal Dhir
Transplant Faculty: Dr. Anthony Vannelli, Dr. Marc St-Amand, Dr. Ramiro Arellano, Dr. Stephen Morrison, Dr. Phil Jones, and Dr. Nelson Gonzalez.
The liver transplantation program continues to provide excellent clinical care to patients for liver transplantation, liver resections and major Hepato-biliary surgeries. There were two additions - Dr. Phil Jones and Dr. Nelson Gonzales joined the liver group in 2017. Apart from his clinical experience, Dr. Jones brings research expertise, and this will provide a boost to our research program. After completing his super fellowship, Dr. Gonzales also joined the group. He is pursuing a master's program and we look forward to collaborating with him.
From January to December 2017, our team provided anesthesia for 52 liver transplantations including five critically ill recipients from the ICU. This also included a combined liver-kidney transplant. 45 livers came from the brain dead donors while 7 were donations after cardiac death. During the same period, our group also provided services for sixty eight major liver resections. The team is also involved with preoperative assessment and optimization of patients before they are listed for liver transplant.
We run a successful fellowship program with two current fellows. Dr. Maria Aspi from the Philippines joined in January 2017 and completed her fellowship in December. Dr. Franklin Dawkins after completing cardiac fellowship replaced Dr. Sonja Payne in July 2017. Apart from receiving excellent clinical experience, our fellows are also involved with research and academic activities. We also conduct monthly PBLDs and journal clubs. Liver Transplantation Anesthesia group attends Transplant rounds regularly and participates in "Liver assessment" and "M & M" rounds conducted by Transplant surgeons and Hepatology colleagues.
- Statistical analysis of the project ‘Infusion of ketamine and Lidocaine for pain management after major liver resection’ is complete and the manuscript is being written.
- "ALPPS - Anesthesiologists' perspective" manuscript is almost finished and ready for submission.
- Dr. Dhir delivered an invited lecture on "Fluids in donor hepatectomy," in a symposium conducted by the Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences on 14 May 2017, ILBS, Delhi, India
- Dr. Dhir conducted case base panel discussion on New onset cardiac dysfunction - early post-transplant in a symposium organized by Centre for Liver and Biliary Sciences, Delhi, 16 Sept. 2017
- Incidence, Risk Factors and Outcomes of Intraoperative Cardiovascular Events During Liver Transplantation
- Pain management after liver transplantation
For more information, please visit our Transplant Program site.