How to Apply

Degree Requirements: Applicants must have obtained a 4-year undergraduate degree (science background preferred) from an accredited University. A minimum academic average of 80% during the final two years of the undergraduate program is required. Students with a lower average may also be considered by the selection committee on an individual basis. Applicants with an MSc degree in one of the named disciplines will also be considered, as well applicants with MD, DDS or MBBS degrees.

Meeting the minimum requirement does not guarantee acceptance to the program.

Recommended Courses: Undergraduate courses in English (with a significant essay requirement), human anatomy, histology, microbiology and physiology are strongly recommended. If human physiology has not been taken prior to admission, the student will be required to take Physiology 2130 offered through the Department of Physiology and Pharmacology within their first year of study. Other suggested undergraduate courses include biochemistry, biology/biological sciences, chemistry, mathematics/calculus, organic chemistry and physics.

International Applicants

(This information pertains to International applicants ONLY.)

Applicants whose first language is not English must furnish evidence of their proficiency in the use of the English language by a satisfactory achievement within the last two years in one of the following:

    • The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The minimum acceptable score is 90, with a minimum of 23 in the speaking portion and with no individual score below 20 for the internet based version. [Western's TOEFL ID is 0984].
    • The Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) of the University of Michigan. Students must have at least 80 on each of the sections and an overall score of at least 85. Arrangements to write MELAB may be made online.
    • CultureWorks. The requirement is successful completion of the High-Advanced level.

Students who are required to present evidence of proficiency in English must make their own arrangements to write the TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB or CAEL and to have the official results sent directly to the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies by the testing agency. Those graduates from CultureWorks or Fanshawe College’s ESL Program must provide official proof of graduation.