Schulich school of Medicine and Dentistry logo Postgraduate Medical Education Schulich Medicine & Dentistry



How do I obtain housing?

Clinical Fellows, Residents, and Research Fellows are registered with Western University therefore Western Housing Services are available. Information regarding housing on campus can be viewed at Please note that housing is not guaranteed. However, there are other options available for finding housing in London and the following website will provide you with information: or or


What is the CMPA and how do I apply?

All trainees who whose work involves patient contact must obtain Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) membership for the duration of their registration at Western University. The CMPA is a non-profit medical mutual defense organization that protects the professional integrity of doctors by providing services including legal defense, indemnification, risk management, educational programs and general advice. Detailed information, including a downloadable form, is available through the CMPA website at Membership cannot begin until the CPSO has issued your Certificate of Registration, but it is still possible to apply ahead of time and thereby accelerate the processing of your membership.  


What is the CPSO and how do I apply?

The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) is the medical licensing authority for the province of Ontario. The CPSO issues certificates of registration to doctors to allow them to practice medicine, monitors and maintains standards of practice. A Postgraduate Education certificate is renewed annually and held during postgraduate medical training at an Ontario medical school. There are terms, conditions and limitations to the certificate. For more information please visit the CPSO website and download the membership application form.

Western University PGME Registration

When can I register?

An email will be sent to the email address provided in your CaRMS application and will include your Letter of Appointment, a letter specifying important registration details as well as information you will need to register via our online registration system, Single Sign-On.  You will be required to the PGME Re and pay the annual registration fee. Registration will be complete when you have completed both parts – online registration and fee payment.

Is there a registration fee?

Yes, there is an annual fee of $700.00 per academic year (July 1 – June 30)

What is a Letter of Appointment?

The Letter of Appointment (LOA) is your contractual agreement with Western University that you sign to confirm your acceptance of the residency training position. It isssued to residents each spring on a yearly basis to your Western University email account. You must print, sign, date and return all pages to the PGME office via email.  Please contact the PGME office if you have any questions about your LOA, phone 519.661.2019 or email.

There is an error on my Letter of Appointment, can I make the correction directly on my LOA?

If the error relates to your home mailing address, please make the change directly on the LOA before scanning it back. For any other errors including name, medical school of graduation, training program, training dates or PGY level, please contact the PGME office by phone 519.661.2019 or email.