Department of Surgery IRF Recipients
Fall 2017 Faculty Competition Winners
Dr. Sarah Jones - "Devlopment of a Novel Multispecialty Morbidity/Mortality Score for Children"
Dr. Ryan Degen - "Efficacy of Multimodal Analgesia Following Hip Arthroscopy"
Dr. Alp Sener - "The Effect of Sodium Thiosulfate on Graft Function in an ex vivo model of Human Donation after Cardiac Death Renal Transplantation"
Dr. Tanya DeLyzer - "The Effect of Stapled Function-Blocking RHAMM Peptides in Attenuating the Development of Radiation-Induced Breast Capsular Contracture"
Dr. Kelly Vogt - "Major Complications Following Surgery: A Validation Study"
Fall 2017 Resident Competition Winners
- Dr. Lucy Yang - "The Effect of Naloxegol on Post-Operative Ileus after Elective Bowel Resections: A Single-Centre, Double-blind, Placebo-Controlled, Randomized Clinical Trial"
- Dr. Melissa Huynh - "Life and Death After the Death of Cancer: a Study of Population Health and Dynamics, and Healthcare Sustainability"
- Dr. Nahid Punjani - "Teaching Advanced Surgical Technique Using Peer-Reviewed Multimedia: An Assessment of Technical Competence in Cadaver-Based Simulation"
- Dr. Jonathan Blankenstein - "Non-Inferiority of Del Nido Cardioplegia vs. Blood Cardioplegia"
- Dr. Tanya Kuper - "Resection Margin Distance for Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma: How Close is too Close?"
- Dr. Ken Leslie - "The mechanism of combined fluoruracil-rapamycin therapy on pancreatic cancer."
- Dr. Stephen Pautler - "Yield of Prostate Cancer Microparticles after Digital Rectal Examination of Prostate Cancer Patients"
- Dr. Chris Bailey - "Importance of Pelvic Parameters and Sagittal Balance on the Surgical Treatment of Lumbar Degenerative Spondylolisthesis"
- Dr. Nahid Punjani - "Do Common Urologic Procedures Increase the Risk of an Infected Joint Prothesis?"
- Dr. Kitty Wu - "Effect of Function-Blocking RHAMM Peptides on Adipogenesis in a Bleomycin-Induced Sclerosis Mouse Model "
- Dr. Alexandra Istl - "Evaluation of the Effect of Chemotherapeutic Regimens on Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma Spheroids in 3DTC and Correlation of Therapeutic Effect with CA 19-9 Secretion"
- Dr. Nick Pasic - "All-Polyethylene Tibial Components in Total Knee Arthroplasty: A Radiostereometric Analysis Comparing Posterior Stabilizing and Condylar Stabilizing Implants"
- Dr. Jessica Truong"Promotion of Adipogenesis in a Rat Model of Radiation-Induced Fibrosis of the Mammay Fat"
- Dr. Esther Lau - "Impact of Robotic Surgery on the Mental Workload and Cognitive Performance of Surgical Trainees Compared with Laparoscopy"
- Dr. Roderick Clark - "A Prospective Cohort Pilot Study to Compare a Simple Home Bladder Pressure Monitoring System to Invasive Urodynamic Studies in Pediatric Patients with Neurogenic Bladder"
- Dr. Alan Getgood - "Randomized Clinical Trial Examining the Stimulation of Endogenous Repair Following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction (SERFAR)"
- Dr. Aaron Grant - "Teaching Styles and Striving for ‘Excellence’ in Surgical Education"
- Dr. Nicholas Power - "Genomic Analysis of Renal Cell Carcinoma Patient Derived Xenografts to Elucidate Potential Genetic Biomarkers of Resistance to Targeted Therapy"
- Dr. Edward Vasarhelyi - "Development of an Animal Model to Study Periprosthetic Joint Infections"
- Dr. Blayne Welk - "5 Alpha Reductase Inhibitors and the Risk of Suicide and Depression"
- Dr. Muriel Brackstone - "Single Dose Periopertaive Radiation in Early Breast Cancer - Phase II Pilot"
- Dr. Alp Sener - "The protective Role of a Novel Mitochondria Targeted Hydrohent Sulfide Donor Molecule against Ischemia Reperfusion Injury in a Murine Model of Donation After Cardiac Death Renal Transplantation"
- Dr. Micheal Chu - "A Randomized Controlled Trial of Axilliary Vs. Innominate Artery Cannulation for Antegrade Cerebral Protection in Aortic Surgery: The ACE Randomized Trial"
- Dr. Jonathan Izawa - "Neoadjuvant Metformin and Simvastatin in Invasive Bladder Cancer"
- Dr. Patrick Colquhoun - "Next Generation Blood Test for Colorectal Cancer Patient Monitoring and Clinical Follow Up"
- Dr. Patrick Luke - "Targeting Toll-Like Receptor 4 (TLR4) Signalling to Ameliorate Kidney and Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury (IRI)"
- Dr. Hassan Razvi - "Bio Markers of Kidney Injury in a Urological Population"
- Dr. JulieAnn Van Koughnett - "Intestinal Ischemia and Abdominal Emergencies After Cardiac Surgery in Ontario - Prevalence, Severity and Clinical Outcomes"
- Dr. Jacob Matz and Dr. Brent Lanting (supervisor) - "Does Overstuffing the Patellofemoral Joint Lead to Adverse Outcomes in Total Knee Arthroplasty"
- Dr. Chris Tarola and Dr. Dave Nagpal (supervisor) - "Risk Prediction of All-Cause Mortality for Post Cardiotomy ECMO"
- Dr. Eric Frechette - "Post-Lobectomy Use of Glucose for Pleurodesis (PLUG) Study"
- Dr. Kelly Vogt - "Acute Care Surgery Service Implementation: Are Outcomes as Good as we had Hoped?"
- Dr. Parham Rasoulinejad - "Design and Development of a Novel Polyethylene Expansion Sleeve for Use as a Pedicle Screw Anchor in Spinal Surgery"
- Dr. Sohrab Ali, Dr. Hassan Razvi, Dr. Hon Leong - The Development of Novel Models of Human Nephrolithaisis and Intravital Imagining in Drosophia Melanogaster
- Dr. Grieg McCreery, Dr. Tina Mele - Intestinal Lavage for the Treatment of Sever Clostridium Difficile Infection
- Dr. Irfan Abdulla, Dr. George Athwal - TIndomethacin Prophylaxis for Heterotrophic Ossification after Surgical Treatment of Elbow Trauma: A Randomized Prospective Double Blinded Study
- Dr. Ken Faber - An in Vitro model of P. Acnes Infections of shoulder Tissues
- Dr. Abel-Rahman Lawendy - Therapeutic Application of a Novel, Water-Soluble CO-releasing Molecule (CORM-3) in the Rodent Model of Type 1 Complex Regional Pain Syndrom (CRPS-I)
- Dr. Stephen Paulter - Water Jet Dissection of the Cavernous Nerves: A Comparative Study to Blunt Cavernous Nerve Injury in a Rat Model and its Implications on Erectile Function
- Dr. Andreana Butter - The Effects of Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia and Tracheal Occlusion on the WNT Signaling Pathway in an Ovine Model
- Dr. Prateek Goyal- "The Effect of Weight Bearing on RSA Measurements of Wear and How Acetabular Position Correlates with Wear"
- Dr. Patrick Murphy - "Incidence of Intra-Abdominal Hypertension in the Critically Ill"
- Dr. Luc Dubois- "Redefining Clinical Success from the Patient’s Perspective: Exploring Dimensions of Patient-Centered Clinical Success Using Visual Research"
- Dr. Roberto Hernandez-Alejandro - "Immunological Determinants of Accelerated Liver Hypertrophy Following Associated Liver Partition and Portal Vein Ligation for Staged Hepatectomy (ALPPS)"
- Dr. Nicholas Power - "Prospective Validation of Circulating Tumour Cells as Prognostic Biomarkers in Clear Cell Renal Cancer Using a Novel Microfluidic Approach"
- Dr. Sarah Jones - "The increasing incidence of gallbladder disease in the pediatric population: A link to the socioeconomic determinants of health"
- Dr. Maria Currie: "Augmented Reality System for Ultrasound Guidance of Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implementation"
- Dr. Terry Zwiep - "Treatment of Ischemia Reperfusion Injury by Delivery of siRNA through Ex-Vivo Machine Perfusion"
- Dr. Edward Vasarehlyi - "A randomized trial comparing the direct lateral, anterior, and posterior approach: Imaging, gait analysis, clinical outcomes and economic impact in total hip arthroplasty"
- Dr. Steven MacDonald - "A randomized controlled trial to establish realistic patient expectations following total knee replacement surgery"
- Dr. James Howard - "Evaluation of stress levels in surgical trainees - A pilot study"
- Dr. Robert Giffin - "Cost-effectiveness of a staged physiotherapy program following ACL Reconstruction"
- Dr. Eric Fréchette - "Risk of recurrence of primary spontaneous pneumothorax: a population-based cohort study
- Drs. Kevin Lee and Patrick Murphy - "Prospective Randomized control trial on negative pressure wound therapy for primarily closed groin incisions following lower limb revascularization to reduce SSIs"
- Dr. Richard Nadeau - "Comparative Efficacy of Topical versus Intravenous Administration of Tranexamic Acid in Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty"
- Dr. Brad Moffat - "Physician Assist Trauma Software (PATS): Implementation of a tertiary trauma survey mobile device application"
- Dr. Mark Nyland - "Evaluation of the effect of custom burr holes on a surgeon's sense of screw fixation in revision trabecular metal cups: a biomechanical study"
- Dr. Blayne Welk - "Understanding the Urinary Microbiome among Females with Frequent Urinary Tract Infections: A Prelude Study to Potential Urinary Mircobiome Transplantation"
- Dr. Brent Lanting - "The Impact of Total Knee Arthroplasty Surgical Technique on Coronal Plane Motion and PatelloFemoral Articulation"
- Dr. Alp Sener - “The effect of supplemental hydrogen sulphide in mitigating ischemia reperfusion injury following prolonged cold storage and allograft transplantation”
- Dr. Douglas Quan - “A pilot study of silencing Caspace 3 by rNAi in pig kidney transplantation”
- Dr. Alan Getgood - “Why are articular cartilage defects painful?”
- Dr. George Athwal - “Development of robot assisted glenoid bone bed preparation for minimally invasive total shoulder arthroplasty”
- Dr. Caitlin Symonette - “Hyaluronic Acid-Phosphatidylethanolamine Cream: a novel transdermal drug delivery system”
- Dr. Peter Wang - “Recurrent Urinary Tract Infection in Children: Bacterial Identification, Antibiotic Sensitivity Profiling and Cytokine Levels Associated with Antibiotic Prophylaxis”