The objectives of the program are to improve or develop:
- knowledge and skills essential for a career in academic family medicine;
- teaching skills for use in academic clinical teaching units or in community practices;
- basic research skills in both quantitative or qualitative research methodologies;
- leadership skills essential to the development of the discipline of family medicine.
The program is offered to family physicians of exceptional capability who:
- may be planning a future career in academic family medicine;
- faculty in academic departments of family medicine, possibly on sabbatical, who wish to advance their teaching, research, and leadership skills; or
- community family physicians who wish to make teaching and/or research part of their family medicine community based practice.