In the context of our disciplinary and methodological areas of expertise (biostatistics, epidemiology, health economics, health services and policy research), we will:
- Recognize and build on our historical strengths, areas of research success, and emerging areas of excellence by:
- identifying/refining our research themes of excellence and emerging excellence; (e.g. biostatistical research directed at cluster randomization methods);
- investing in areas in which we currently have national/international prominence; and
- identifying and support a small number of emerging research themes (strategies for new hiring).
- Recognize and build on our tradition of excellence and innovation in graduate education.
In the context that our research programs are directed at either:
- Research to develop methods (statistical, economic, epidemiologic)
- Apply methodologically sound principles and conceptual disease models to address substantive questions, we aim to:
- identify strategic research themes within which our overlapping expertise and interests synergize into unique research themes of excellence; and
- achieve impact through addressing pertinent questions and transferring/translating findings to achieve impact.
In the context of our national reputation for a strong, relevant graduate program, our teaching excellence in undergraduate classes in the medical school and BMSc program, and our particularly strong methods teaching, we aim to:
- Ensure that the foci for both thesis research and course delivery should map to our themes of excellence and emerging excellence.
- Enhance our activities and the student experience: e.g. continue to evaluate and enhance our graduate curriculum; enhance student/faculty interaction.
- Continue to improve teaching skills; incorporate innovative teaching methods.
- Expand our activities in terms of numbers of students and number of activities (e.g. increased graduate enrolment).
- Investigate the potential for development of a novel undergraduate program tied to our niches of excellence.
4. Extend Our Impact by Engaging with Others in Strategic within- and inter-disciplinary Collaboration
Aligned with our themes of research and teaching excellence and emerging excellence, we will:
- Lever the impact and productivity of our research by engagement with others of comparable excellence, and complementary expertise.
- Provide a “home” for cross appointees aligned with our disciplinary and methodological areas of expertise.
- Seek opportunities to benefit from, and contribute to, innovative interdisciplinary educational programs.
We seek to be recognized for the value/prominence/excellence of the Department:
- We will identify additional areas in which we have the potential for national/international prominence (identify/promote areas).
- We will engage in strategic Faculty initiatives which complement our expertise and synergize with our strengths.
- Marketing of our graduate program in a competitive environment.
- We will develop metrics with meaning to our discipline.
- We will increase our KT activities; transferring our findings to those who will lever our results into impact in their areas of research, practice or policy setting.