Description of division:
The Division of Pediatric Radiology is located in the Department of Medical Imaging at Children's Hospital of Western Ontario. Here, families have access to state-of-the-art imaging technologies, including x-rays, ultrasound, CT, and MRI, in a safe and comforting environment. We specialize in:
- Imaging for infants and children with imaging equipment that has been adapted for children
- Specialized pediatric sedation and anesthesia capabilities, tailored to ensure a safe and comforting experience for your child
- Safe, low-dose imaging
Our pediatric radiologists interpret every scan and perform every procedure, providing expertise that will help you and your child’s doctor make the best decisions about care.
List of the division members:
Dr. Michael Jurkiewicz, Division Head
Dr. Scott McKillop, Pediatric Radiology
Dr. Leandro Leite, Pediatric Intervetional Radiology
Dr. KengYeow Tay, Pediatric Neuroradiology
Dr. Andrew Leung, Pediatric Neuroradiology
- Ultra-high frequency ultrasound in determining response to intra-articular steroid injections in JIA patients
- NeOx monitor: fNIRS platform for neonatal brain monitoring, analytics and data repository
- Advanced neuroimaging in pediatric stroke: Pathophysiology of injury and repair in children with focal brain ischemia
- Province of Ontario neurodevelopmental disorders network brain imaging
- Novel PET/MRI approach to seizure characterization in pediatric medically refractory epilepsy
- Clinical course of optic gliomas in children with neurofibromatosis type 1: an ambispective longitudinal study
- Optimizing preterm delivery time: brain health & neurodevelopmental outcomes
- Longitudinal network connectivity changes using functional and diffusion MRI in pediatric patients with focal epilepsy
1. Presurgical brain mapping of the language network in pediatric patients with epilepsy using resting-state fMRI (2021). Pur DR, Eagleson R, Lo M, Jurkiewicz MT, Andrade A, de Ribaupierre S. Journal of Neurosurgery: Pediatrics.
2. Poirier SE, Kwan BY, Jurkiewicz MT, Samargandy L, Steven D, Cheung VLS, Khan AR, Prato FS, Burneo JG, Thiessen JD, Anazodo UC (2020). 18F-FDG PET-guided diffusion tractography reveals white matter abnormalities around the epileptic focus in medically refractory epilepsy: Implications for epilepsy surgical evaluation. European Journal of Hybrid Imaging. 4(10): 1-19.
3. Lawan A, Leung A, Battie M. Vertebral endplate defects: nomenclature, classification and measurement methods: a scoping review. Eur Sp J 2020.
4. Chan IYM, Li H, Shi T, Hammond RR, Jurkiewicz MT (2020). Parietal convexity meningeal melanocytoma: Radiologic-pathologic correlation. Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences.
5. Prasad M, Balci TB, Prasad C, Andrews JD, Lee R, Jurkiewicz MT, Napier MP, Colaiacovo S, Guillen Sacoto MJ, Karp N (2020). BCL11B-related disorder in two canadian children: Expanding the clinical phenotype. European Journal of Medical Genetics. 63(9): 104007.
6. Jurkiewicz MT, Vossough A, Pollock AN (2020). An important pediatric stroke mimic: Hemiplegic migraine. Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences. 47: 235-236.
7. Sallam YT, Jurkiewicz MT (2020). A curious case of a comestible cough candy. Radiology Case Reports. 15: 1566-1569.
8. Budhram A, Leung A, Nicolle MW, Burneo JG. Diagnosing autoimmune limbic encephalitis. CMAJ. 2019 May 13;191(19):E529-534.
9. Jurkiewicz MT, Rodriguez P, Waldman A, Pollock AN (2019). Olfactory bulb hyperplasia in Alexander disease. Journal of Clinical Diagnosis and Research. 13: TD01-02.
10. Kim DD, Budhram A, Haji FA, Leung A, Khaw A, Ramsay D. Leptomeningeal metastasis of classical Hodgkin lymphoma in a patient with malignant posterior reversible encephalopathy syndrome. Lancet Oncol. 2019 Jul; 20(7)e397.
11. Jiang Z, Wang D, Jurkiewicz M, Hammond R, Fernandez-Codina A, Pope J. (2019). IgG4-related disease as a mimicker of granulomatosis with polyangiitis – a case report. Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology. 21: 1-2.
12. Jurkiewicz MT, Nasrallah IM, Stein JM, Learned KO, Loevner LA (2019). Isolated cranial nerve XII palsy due to internal carotid artery dissection: A common diagnosis with an uncommon presentation. The Neuroradiology Journal. 32: 123-126.
13. Mirian A, Budhram A, Leung A, Jones ML. Trigeminal Nerve Sheath Tumor Presenting as a Cluster Headache. Headache, 2018 Jun 1; 58 (6): 896-897.
14. Jurkiewicz MT, Crawley AP, Mikulis DJ (2018). Is rest really rest? Resting state functional connectivity during rest and motor task paradigms. Brain Connectivity. 8: 268-275.
15. Gaetz W, Jurkiewicz MT, Kessler S, Blaskey L, Schwartz ES, Roberts TP (2017). Neuromagnetic responses to tactile stimulation of the fingers: Evidence of reduced post-synpatic GABAergic inhibition in children with autism spectrum disorder and epilepsy. NeuroImage: Clinical. 16: 624-633.
16. Welk B, McArthur E, Morrow S, MacDonald P, Hayward J, Leung A, Lum A. Association Between Gadolinium Contrast Exposure and the Risk of Parkinsonism. JAMA. 2016; 316(1):96-98.
17. Wang BH, Leung A, Lownie SP. Circle of Willis Collateral During Temporary Internal Carotid Artery Occlusion II: Observations from Computed Tomography Angiography. Can J Neurol Sci. 2016 Jul;43(4):538-42.
18. Kao R, Landry Y, Chick G, Leung A. Bilateral blindness secondary to optic nerve ischemia from severe amlodipine overdose: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2017; 11:211.
19. Venkatraghavan L, Bharadwaj S, Wourms V, Tan A, Jurkiewicz MT, Mikulis DJ, Crawley AP (2017). Brain resting state functional connectivity is preserved under sevoflurane anesthesia in patients with pervasive developmental disorders - A pilot study. Brain Connectivity. 7: 250-257.
20. Budhram A, Leung A, Sangle N, Khaw A. Diffuse large B-cell lypmhoma of the nasopharynx presenting with cluster-like headache. Headache. 2017 May; 57(5):806-808.
21. Jurkiewicz MT, Lim CCT, Mohan S (2017). Clandestine charisma of the charm needles: A radiologist’s challenge. Emergency Radiology. 24: 427-430.
22. Leung A, Patel A, Bahakeem B, Pelz D, Lee D, Sharma M. The Uniform Cortex Sign: A diagnostic Sign of Diffuse Cortical Injury on MR Imaging of the Brain at 1.5 T. Can J Neurol Sci. 2017; Aug 31:1-6.
23. Sahovaler A, Yeh DH, Morrison D, de Ribaupierre S, Izawa J, Power A, Inculet R, Parry N, Palma DA, Landis M, Leung A, Fung K, MacNeil SD, Yoo J, Nichols AC. The incidence and management of non-head and neck incidentalomas for the head and neck surgeon. Oral Oncol. 2017; 74:98-104.