What is BMSc?
Explore the BMSc Program at WesternThe Bachelor of Medical Sciences (BMSc) degrees are four-year undergraduate degrees offered jointly by the Faculty of Science and the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry. This degree program is designed for students interested in advanced study in the basic medical sciences and focuses on all aspects of biology that define and influence the human condition. Emphasis is placed on understanding the normal human condition, mechanisms of current treatment and the search for cures.
The basic medical science disciplines include:
- Anatomy and Cell Biology
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Medical Biophysics
- Microbiology and Immunology
Students wishing for an interdisciplinary approach and a broader education in the basic medical sciences may study the Interdisciplinary Medical Sciences (IMS) as an alternative to discipline-specific modules. There are also several joint modules (e.g. Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Medical Biophysics and Biochemistry), which provide study across two disciplines at an advanced level.
Admission to the BMSc Program begins in Year 3, generally following the successful completion of Medical Sciences 1 and 2.
A BMSc or BMSc Honors Degree must contain one of the following modules offered by a Basic Medical Science department:
- An Honors Specialization (HSP) module. Admission into these modules is competitive due to the limited number of spaces available in labs and Year 4 research projects (BMSc Honors).
- Two Major modules, both of which must be offered through the Basic Medical Sciences Departments (BMSc or BMSc Honors).
- Specialization in Interdisciplinary Medical Sciences (IMS) which leads to a BMSc degree.
The majority of BMSc graduates complete Honors Specialization (HSP) modules. Some choose to complete an additional Major or Minor module from either the Basic Medical Sciences or another faculty.
Visit the basic medical science departmental websites to learn about the many different undergraduate programs offered.
Why BMSc? See the BMSc Advantage.