Graduation Requirements

The Academic Calendar outlines the Graduation Requirements for Honours Bachelor Degrees, such as:

  • first-year requirements
  • breadth requirement (1.0 course from each of Category A, B and C is required to graduate)
    • Note: transfer credits can be used to satisfy breadth requirements
    • 1.0 course from Category A or B must be at the 1000-level (exceptions are sometimes made for language courses, e.g., a student might have permission to use a 2000-level language course in place of a 1000-level course from Category B)
  • essay requirement (2.0 essay-designated courses are required and 1.0 must be 2000-level or above)
    • Notes:
      • Essay designations are noted by the suffix of a course: E (full course essay), F (first-term 0.5 essay), G (second-term, 0.5 essay)
      • essay courses must be done at Western - transfer credits cannot be used to satisfy the essay requirement
      • a modular course with an essay designation can count toward the essay requirement (most Honours Specialization modules in the BMSc Program require at least 2.0 modular courses that are essay-designated courses)
  • module requirements (including minimum marks and averages)
  • minimum number of senior credits
    • Note: a minimum of 13.0 "senior" credits are required (courses numbered 2000 and above). More than 7.0 first-year credits (numbered 1000-level) can be taken but a maximum of 7.0 can be used toward a BMSc degree since 13.0 of the 20.0 credits must be senior-level.
  • etc.

The current Academic Calendar must always be used as the official site for academic requirements. Connect with a BMSUE Coordinator if you discover that the requirements of your module have changed and you are not sure whether the current Academic Calendar is the one that you should use.

If you are completing an Honors Specialization + an additional Major or Minor that contain some of the same modular courses, then keep in mind that the Common Course Policy comes into effect when BMSc students complete two modules that contain "common courses". Connect with a BMSUE Coordinator if you want to know more about completing an additional Major or Minor.

If you want to have your graduation requirements checked, then send your completed worksheet through the BMSUE Question Portal.

BMSc - Honours Specialization modules - worksheets

The worksheets have been updated for 2022/2023.

If you are in Year 4 and uncertain about whether you satisfy your graduation requirements, even after completing a worksheet, then submit your completed worksheet through the BMSUE Question Portal.

Every attempt is made to keep the worksheets up-to-date and reflective of the requirements in the current Academic Calendar. These worksheets have been updated for the 2022/23 academic year.

New: Honours Specialization in IMS + Major in Physiology

BMSc - Double Majors modules - worksheets

The worksheets below will help you determine which courses need to be taken to satisfy the requirements of two Major modules that lead to graduation with a BMSc degree.

Every attempt is made to keep these sheets up-to-date and reflective of the requirements in the current Academic Calendar for each module and how the Common Course Policy applies to each Double Major combination.

Submit the worksheet for review through the BMSUE Question Portal if you are uncertain about satisfying the requirements to graduate.

If you are either registered in or contemplating a combination of two Major modules offered by the basic medical science departments and you don't see the combination below, then connect with a BMSUE Coordinator.

The general requirements to graduate are located in the Academic Calendar .

NOTE: students cannot complete a Major in Pharmacology and a Major in Physiology.

See the Neuroscience website for the worksheet for Honours Specialization in Neuroscience.