Dr. John Yoo has been appointed as the next Dean of the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, effective May 1, 2020. Dr. Yoo is internationally renowned for pioneering techniques in reconstructive head and neck cancer surgery and has served in several academic leadership roles at the School. He has a strong reputation as an inspired and collaborative leader with a demonstrated track record for driving constructive organizational change. Learn More and Watch the Video
In November, the Commission on Dental Accreditation of Canada informed the School that all of its programs are accredited, including the Doctor of Dental Surgery, Internationally Trained Dentists, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Graduate Orthodontics and General Practice Residency programs. Thank you to alumni, faculty, staff and students for your dedication to quality improvement and your commitment to an outstanding learning and patient care experience. Read More
The Internationally Trained Dentists Program is now being offered over three academic years, beginning in 2020-2021. The School is committed to providing more instruction, exposure and experience to students with a new education model. Read More
Congratulations to Drs. Antonios Mamandras, Gordon Payne, DDS’86, and Penelope Thornton, DDS’81, recipients of 2019 Alumni of Distinction Awards. As leaders, mentors and socially responsible professionals, they continue to inspire students, faculty, staff and alumni. Read More
Investing in clinic enhancements
Thanks to the generous support of donors to Schulich Dentistry, the Clinical Dentistry Endowment was recently able to provide financial support for two important clinical enhancement projects. A new sterilization unit was installed in the Oral Surgery dispensary, replacing a 20-year-old unit. And three new emergency crash carts were added to the Paediatric, Endodontic and Oral Surgery clinics. These projects will improve patient care across the clinics.
Sharing Smiles Day celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2019. Through games, demonstrations and hands-on activities, dental students and community members with special needs came together to learn and build positive relationships. Read More
Dentistry’s Movember team championed the moustache and got active for the annual campaign, which tackles prostate cancer, testicular cancer, mental health and suicide prevention. The team raised more than $3,000. Read More
dentalcorp donated $1 million to Schulich Dentistry to enhance continuing education and training. Read More
Dentistry students met with recent graduates at a Coffee with Alumni event in October. More than 40 students attended to learn and explore different post-degree paths. Thank you to Drs. Andrew Jones, DDS’19, Laura Mirzai, DDS’19, Nada Tabbara, DDS’17, Michael Tiedemann, DDS’17, and Peter Zhou, DDS’19, for your support. Read More
Dr. Les Kalman, DDS’99, Assistant Professor, launched a new mobile app called The Smile Shade, developed as part of a collaborative research project. It is intended to facilitate a simple, accurate and systematic approach for dental shade determination. Read the story in Dentistry Today
Six faculty members have taken on new leadership roles at Schulich Dentistry.
- Dr. Fernando Inocencio, Assistant Director, Academic Affairs
- Dr. Rae Dorian, Assistant Director, Clinical Affairs
- Dr. Shawn Steele, Director, Dentistry Surgical Care Unit
- Dr. Liliani Vieira, Chair, Paediatrics
- Dr. Trevor Thang, Chair, Oral Medicine & Radiology
- Dr. Ali Tassi, Interim Program Director, Graduate Orthodontics
Welcome to new faculty members
Fourteen new faculty members recently joined Schulich Dentistry.
- Dr. Luis DaSilva, Adjunct Clinical Faculty
- Dr. Cecilia Dong, Assistant Professor, Prosthodontics
- Dr. Rajan Gupta, Adjunct Clinical Faculty
- Dr. David Harris, Adjunct Clinical Faculty
- Dr. Sharat Pani, Assistant Professor, Paediatric Dentistry
- Dr. Amarpreet Sabharwal, Assistant Professor, Periodontics
- Dr. Shawn Steele, Assistant Professor, Special Care & Community Dentistry; Director, Dentistry Surgical Care Unit
- Dr. Amanda Reavely, Adjunct Clinical Faculty
- Dr. Angel Sanchez, Adjunct Clinical Faculty
- Dr. John Suljak, Adjunct Clinical Faculty
- Dr. Trevor Thang, Chair, Oral Medicine and Radiology
- Dr. Liliani Vieira, Chair, Paediatric Dentistry
- Dr. Patrick Winter, Adjunct Clinical Faculty
- Dr. Yiyi Zhang, Adjunct Clinical Faculty
Five new General Practice Residents join Schulich Dentistry
Five new residents will complete rotations at the School’s affiliated teaching hospitals and experience all phases of inpatient and ambulatory dental care. Welcome to Drs. David Charrette, Michael Tran, Jason Tupper, Jason Wong and Nader Shaker. Read More
- Amr Alsabbagh, Dentistry Class of 2020, represented Schulich Dentistry at the 2019 CDA/Dentsply Sirona Student Clinician Research Program. His research project focused on HPV-associated oral epithelial dysplasia and he was supervised by Dr. Christina McCord.
- Dr. Jeffrey Dixon, MSc’75, DDS’77, Professor Emeritus, was awarded the 2019 Distinguished Service Award from the International Association for Dental Research in recognition of his outstanding contributions and leadership.
- Dr. Khadry Galil, a long-standing member of the Department of Anatomy & Cell Biology and Divisions of Orthodontics and Periodontics, retired at the end of August. Dr. Galil was a beloved and dedicated educator and we wish him all the best retirement.
- Dr. Les Kalman, DDS’99, Assistant Professor, was honoured with Fellowship status in the Academy of Osseointegration.
- Dr. H.J. Lapointe, DDS’82, Chair, Division of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, was appointed Fellow of the American College of Dentistry in San Francisco.
- Dr. Usha Sedhain, Adjunct Clinical Professor, placed first in North America at the Dentsply Clinical Case Competition for 2018-19. Dr. Sedhain’s research is supervised by Dr. Jacinta Santos.
- Peter Sabiri, Dentistry Class of 2021, represented Schulich Dentistry at the prestigious Hinman Student Research Symposium in Memphis, Tennessee.
- The School’s Student Professionalism & Ethics Association chapter was recognized with the Best Regent Communication Award, selected from among all North American chapters.
- Dr. Nabil Tabbara, Adjunct Clinical Professor, was elected President of the American Academy of Craniofacial Pain, Canadian Chapter.