How to stay up to date without UpToDate
The Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry and Western Libraries have been reviewing the point of care options that they support and have, based on financial considerations, agreed to no longer support the UpToDate (UTD) Point of Care Tool. This was effective August 31, 2015.
Point Of Care tools are those reference resources that a physician or other health care professional can utilize immediately at the Point-Of-Care (POC) or the bedside.
Usage statistics show a major use of UpToDate was for drug information. Other POC resources such as DynaMed can provide similar information.
Western Libraries provides those with Western affiliation with access to the following suite of POC tools:
- DynaMed - a clinical reference point-of-care tool
- ACP Smart Medicine – a decision-support tool for rapid point-of-care delivery of up-to-date, evidence-based guidance for clinicians
- E-CPS - Canadian Pharmacist Association’s online Compendium of Pharmaceuticals and Specialties (eCPS) covers Canadian drug information
- Essential Evidence Plus - evidence-based healthcare information covering clinical content, services, tools, and calculators
- Micromedex - evidence-based clinical decision support (CDS) for medication, toxicology, disease, acute care and alternative medicine
- Natural Medicines - authoritative resource on dietary supplements, natural medicines, and complementary alternative and integrative therapies
For more information about the transition from UpToDate, please see: Important notice about upcoming changes to UpToDate