In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Schulich Dentistry’s education team developed new processes and procedures to bring third- and fourth-year students safely back to the clinics and prepare for the realities of providing clinical education and care. Read More
Azin Orumchi, Dentistry Class of 2021, created Little Wings for Little Beings to help explain physical distancing to children during COVID-19. Together with her family, she created a line of easy-to-clean, wearable wings with proceeds going to the Children’s Hospital at London Health Sciences Centre and SickKids Foundation. Read More
In this role, Dr. Bertha Garcia is working to embed equity, diversity and inclusion principles into Western’s institutional structure. She will continue as the Vice Dean and Director of Dentistry, firmly focused on advancing the plans for the future within the many programs. Read More
The Student Professionalism & Ethics Association (SPEA) national executive council has named Schulich Dentistry as its Chapter of the Year. SPEA is a national student-led organization that supports dental students’ lifelong commitment to ethical behaviour for the benefit of the patients they serve and to further the dental profession. Read More
The Dental Entrepreneurship, Business and Innovation (DEBI) club, a new student-led organization at the School, is creating a space for dental students to learn about business and entrepreneurship opportunities within their future profession. Read More
Amid the evolving COVID-19 pandemic, dental students from Schulich Medicine & Dentistry directed their focus to helping their local communities. Read More
Dr. Wesley Dunn, founding Dean of Dentistry, passed away on November 15 at the age of 96. His leadership led to the growth and success of the dental faculty and instilled an ongoing tradition of exceptional mentorship, community and enterprise. Read More
Dr. Jack McLister, DDS’75, passed away on October 10. He was a faculty member with Schulich Dentistry for close to four decades and will be remembered for his commitment to students and patients in the undergraduate clinic. Read More
New leadership roles
Two faculty members have taken on new leadership roles at Schulich Dentistry.
- Dr. Les Kalman, DDS’99, Academic Lead, Continuing Dental Education
- Dr. Ali Tassi, DDS’99, Assistant Dean, Postgraduate Dental Education
Welcome to new faculty members
- Dr. Noha Aziz Ezzat Gomaa, Assistant Professor, Oral Medicine
- Dr. Heleine Maria Chagas Rego, Assistant Professor, Restorative Dentistry
- Dr. Selma Saadaldin, Assistant Professor, Prosthodontics
- Dr. Natalia Myrhha Melo, Assistant Professor, Endodontics
- Dr. Abbas Jessani, Assistant Professor, Restorative Dentistry
- Dr. Georgia Nikoloudaki, Assistant Professor, Endodontics
- Dr. Kanan Dave, Assistant Professor, Oral Medicine
Adjunct Clinical Faculty
- Cecilia Aragon
- Vanessa Mendes
- Ayse Ozlem Suslen Aydingoz
- Liliane Le Saux
- Dayana Campanelli
- Nedra Peter
- Nazir Lalani
- Matthew Morrison
- Michael Tran
- Jason Tupper
- David Charette
- William Beauchamp
- The ODA Cup event raised $10,000 for the Dental Outreach Community Services (DOCS) program at Schulich Dentistry.
- Schulich Dentistry’s 2020 Movember campaign raised more than $6,000 for men’s health causes.
- Dr. Gildo Santos was appointed to the Western Senate, and as the University’s representative to the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario Council.
- Brenda Davis, Dr. Gillian Soskin and Dr. Richard Park marked 25 years of service at Western.
- Cailtin Loo, Dentistry Class of 2022 and SPEA Schulich Dentistry President, was selected to represent Canada as Regent on the national board for the Student Professionalism and Ethics Associations this year.