Introduction to Research in the Division of Geriatric Psychiatry
Research development is a core component of the Division of Geriatric Psychiatry at Western. The Division enjoys a strong collaborative relationship with other disciplines involved in the care of the elderly; this is also reflected in some of the collaborative research projects developed between Geriatric Psychiatry and Geriatric Medicine.
- Montero-Odasso M, Almeida QJ, Burhan AM, Camicioli R, Doyon J, Fraser S, Li K, Liu-Ambrose T, Middleton L, Muir-Hunter S, McIlroy W. SYNERGIC TRIAL (SYNchronizing Exercises, Remedies in Gait and Cognition) a multi-Centre randomized controlled double blind trial to improve gait and cognition in mild cognitive impairment. BMC geriatrics. 2018 Dec;18(1):93.
- Hall, PA, Lowe CJ, Safati Huaqi AB, Klassen LEB, and Burhan AM. Effects of left dlPFC modulation on social cognitive processes following food sampling. Appetite vol. 126 (2018) pp: 73-79
- Davies SJ, Burhan AM, Kim D, Gerretsen P, Graff-Guerrero A, Woo VL, Kumar S, Colman S, Pollock BG, Mulsant BH, Rajji TK. Sequential drug treatment algorithm for agitation and aggression in Alzheimer’s and mixed dementia. Journal of Psychopharmacology. 2018 Jan 1:0269881117744996.
- McIntyre A, Mirkowski M, Thompson S, Burhan AM, Miller T, Teasell R. A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis on the Use of Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for Spasticity Post Stroke. PM & R: the journal of injury, function, and rehabilitation. 2017 Oct 15.
- Hall PA, Psych C, Vincent CM, Burhan AM. Non-invasive brain stimulation for food cravings, consumption, and disorders of eating: A review of methods, findings and controversies. Appetite. 2017;30:1e11.
- McIntyre A, Thompson S, Burhan A, Mehta S, Teasell R. Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation for Depression Due to Cerebrovascular Disease: A Systematic Review. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases. 2016 Dec 31;25(12):2792-800.
- Vasudev A, Arena A, Burhan AM, Ionson E, Hirjee H, Maldeniya P, Wetmore S, Newman RI. A training programme involving automatic self-transcending meditation in late-life depression: preliminary analysis of an ongoing randomised controlled trial. British Journal of Psychiatry Open. 2016 Apr 1;2(2):195-8.
- Marlatt, N.M., Gutmanis, I., & Burhan, A.M. Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS): A Brief Overview. (2016). Research Insights 13(1), 2-12.
- Gutmanis, I., Marlatt, N.M., & Burhan, A.M. Treating Chronic Tinnitus and Secondary Depressive Symptoms using Sequential Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) Followed by Home-Based Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS): A Case Study in a Tertiary Mental Health Care Setting. Research. (2016). Research Insights 13(1), 13-28.
- Marlatt NM, Burhan AM, Palaniyappan L. Inflammation and Depression: What Can We Learn from Emerging Molecular Imaging Modalities? (2017). Research Insights; 14(1):2-13
- Marlatt NM, Burhan AM, Palaniappan L. Hybrid Imaging: A Proof-of-concept Attempt at Understanding Neuroinflammation in Depression. (2017). Research Insights; 14(1):15-28
- Gutmanis, I., Hay, M., Shadd, J., Byrne, J., McCallum, S., Bishop, K., Whitfield, .P, Faulds, C. (2017). Understanding bladder management on a palliative care unit: a grounded theory study. International Journal of Palliative Nursing. 23(3):144-151. doi: 10.12968/ijpn.2017.23.3.144.
- Marlatt, N.M., Van Bussel, L., Seitz, D., & Gutmanis, I. (2017) Introducing problem-solving therapy training into Southwestern Ontario. The Journal of Mental Health Training, Education and Practice. 12(1), 33-43. doi: 10.1108/jmhtep-01-2016-0005.
- Hansen, K.T., McDonald, C., O'Hara, S., Post, L., Silcox, S., & Gutmanis, I.A. (2017). A formative evaluation of a nurse practitioner-led interprofessional geriatric outpatient clinic. Journal of Interprofessional Care. Apr 7:1-4. doi: 10.1080/13561820.2017.1303463.
- Eynan, R., Shah, R., Heisel, M.J., Eden, D., Jhirad, R., & Links, P.S. (in press). The feasibility and clinical utility of conducting a confidential inquiry into suicide in Southwestern Ontario. Crisis.
- Fogarty, J., Almklov, E., Borrie, M., Wells, J. & Roth, R. (2017). Subjective Rating of Executive Functions in Mild Alzheimer’s Disease. Aging and Mental Health, 21, 7, 1184-1191.
- O’Rourke, N., Heisel, M.J., Canham, S.L., Sixsmith, A., Yaghoubi-Shahir, H., King, D.B., & BADAS Study Team (in press). Psychometric validation of the Geriatric Suicide Ideation Scale (GSIS) among older adults with bipolar disorder. Aging & Mental Health.
- Vasudev, A., Firbank, M.J., Gati, J.S., Ionson, E., Thomas AJ. BOLD activation of the ventromedial prefrontal cortex in patients with late life depression and comparison participants. International Psychogeriatrics, 2017 May 18: 1-6.
- Gregory, J., Vasudev, A., A review of meditative practices and their role in geriatric mental health. International Psychogeriatrics, 2017 Jan 31.
- Vasudev, K., Vasudev, A., Glick, I., Surviving Psychopharmacology Training. A pilot iterative quality improvement program for psychiatry residents at Western University, Canada. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology, 2017 Feb 1st.
- Pillai A, Richard L, Shariff SZ, Vasudev A. Is there seasonality in hospitalizations for major depressive disorder in Canada?. Archives of Clinical Psychiatry (São Paulo). 2017 Oct;44(5):134-6.
- Improving Quality of Life in the Elderly by Standardizing Care for Neuropsychiatric Symptoms of Dementia (Rajji, T., Kumar, S. & Burhan, A.M.). From Brain Canada Foundation $1,519,880; 04/2018-03/2021.
- Escitalopram for Agitation in Alzheimer Disease (Lyketsos, C., Porsteinssen, A., Burhan, A.M., VanBussel, L. & Vasudev, A.). From National Institute on Aging $3,000,455USD; 06/2017-06/2022.
- Cognitive Outcomes and the Response/Remission Efficacy of Convulsive Therapies in Treatment Resistant Depression: The CORRECT-TRD Trail (Blumberger, D.M. & Burhan, A.M.). From Brain Canada Foundation $1,499,918; 12/2016-12/2019.
- Suicide Prevention in Men: A Cluster Randomized Control Trail of Smartphone Assisted Problem Solving Therapy Compared to Usual Care in Men Who Present with Intentional Self-Harm to Emergency Departments (Hatcher, S., Heisel, M.J.). From Ontario SPOR Support Unit OSSUIMPACT Award $1,752,292; 6/2015-5/2018.
- Summer Research Institute on Suicide Prevention: The Development of a Patient-Oriented Research Training for Researchers, Clinicians, Policy Makers and People with Lived Experience of Suicide (Hatcher, S., Heisel, M.J.). From CIHR $24,989; 2017-2018.