The History of Medicine
- Read History of Medicine blog by Ariel Gershon (Med 2019) here.
- University of Calgary to be held March 22 & 23, 2019 -- submit an abstract! We've had great success in supporting a strong Schulich Medicine student contingent at this meeting in recent years -- so don't miss out! See Call for Presentations here and check out past Schulich Medicine student participation at this conference here.
- Dr Paul Potter presents "Earliest extant Greek manuscripts of Diseases of Women I-II" at the Colloque Hippocratique meeting in Rome, Oct 25-27, 2018. Wonderful timing to coincide with new publication of Hippocrates Volume XI Diseases of Women 1-2, edited and translated by Paul Potter (the 11th and final volume in the Loeb Classical Library's complete edition of Hippocrates' texts). Congratulations Dr Potter!
- Five Questions with Dr. Susan Reverby: Interview by Dr. Shauna Devine. Read more.
- Dr. Shelley McKellar Appointed to the AMS Healthcare Board of Directors. Read more.
- Now published! From the AMS 80th Anniversary Symposium Canadian Medicare 2017: Historical Reflections, Future Directions, read double special issue of Health Economics, Policy and Law that is open access here.
- Read Dr Dawna Gilchrist's "It's All in How You Frame the Question" e-Network post, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, to see how medical students can approach the history of medicine.
- Congratulations to Sean Wong, Wesley Tin and George Kitching as incoming Co-Presidents of the Osler Society for 2018-19! Stay tuned for an exciting year of activities under their leadership!
- Dr Alexandra Istl (Med 2015) publishes historical research on Dr Edwin Seaborn and Western's medical response in the Journal of Medical Biography(May 2018). Read more ...
- The next Osler Society meeting will be a tour of the Medical Artifact Collection at Western on May 3. Learn more about the Osler Society.
- The Pulse recognizes medical student passion for the history of medicine in march 2018 newsletter. Read more at "Making History - again"
- The next Osler Society meeting is scheduled for March 29. Learn more about the Osler Society.
- Twenty-three Schulich Medicine students present research projects at University of Calgary's History of Medicine Days meeting
- Artificial Hearts by Professor Shelley McKellar sparks lots of interest
- 2018 marks the 100th Anniversary of the Spanish Flu epidemic
- Call for Abstracts: History of Medicine Colloquium
- Michael Chen, Meds 2018, and North de Pencier, Meds 2019, to present history of medicine research at the AAHM meeting in Los Angeles, CA in May 2018
- Shelley McKellar publishes in the New England Journal of Medicine on the world’s first heart transplant
- Missed the Information Session on How Best to Tackle a History of Medicine Project? Check out session slides uploaded under Research Projects