Gastroenterology & Hepatology
Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease
Hepatic Drug Metabolism
Melanie Beaton completed her MD at the University of Ottawa and residency training in Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology at Western University. She subsequently completed a research fellowship at the Queensland Institute of Medical Research and Royal Brisbane Hospital in Brisbane, Australia. After returning to London she joined the Department of Medicine in the Division of Gastroenterology at Western University. Her clinical practice encompasses general gastroenterology with a focus in the management of Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) and Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFLD). She is the University Hospital Site Chief of Gastroenterology, a member of the Robarts IBD Clinical Trials group and has a research interest in the management of NAFLD and drug disposition in this condition.
1. Iscoe, S, Beaton MD, Duffin J. Chemoreflex thresholds to CO2 in decerebrate cats. Respiration Physiology 1998;113:1-10, Coauthor
2. Rahman P, Schentag CT, Beaton MD, Gladman DD. Comparison of clinical and immunogenetic features in familial versus sporadic psoriatic arthritis. Clin Exp Rheumatol; 2000;18:7-12, Coauthor
3. Rahman P, Beaton MD, Schentag CT, Gladman DD. Accuracy of self-reported family history in psoriatic arthritis. J Rheumatol; 2000;27:824. Coauthor
4. Beaton M, Guyader D, Moirand R, Deugnier Y, Adams P. Non-Invasive Prediction of Cirrhosis in C282Y Hemochromatosis. Hepatology, 2002 Sep; 36 (3): 673-8, Principal Author
5. Beaton MD, Adams PC. Prognostic Factors and Survival in Patients with Hereditary Hemochromatosis and Cirrhosis. Cdn J Gastro, 2006 Apr; 20 (4): 257-260, Principal Author
6. Beaton MD, Adams PC. The myths and realities of hemochromatosis. Cdn J Gastro. 2007 Feb; 21 (2): 101-4, Principal Author
7. Beaton MD, Adams PC. Assessment of silent liver fibrosis in hemochromatosis C282Y homozygotes with normal transaminases. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2008;6(6)713-4, Principal Author
8. Beaton MD, Taylor B, Driman D, Ainsworth P, Adams PC. Colonic interposition in a woman with attenuated familial adenomatosis polyposis: Does the location of the colon effect polyp formation? Cdn J Gastro, 2008 Jul; 22 (7): 634-6, Principal Author
9. Adams PC and Beaton MD. Transferrin saturation as a predictor of hepatic iron overload. Liver International Feb, 2011 Feb; 31 (2): 272-3, Coauthor10. Mosli M, Beaton M. Clozapine Induced Ogilvie’s Syndrome. J Gastrointest Digest Sys 2012;2:105. dio:10.4172-069X.1000105, Coauthor
11. Myers RP, Pomier-Layrargues G, Kirsch R, Pollett A, Duarte-Rojo A, Wong D, Beaton M, Levstik M, Crotty P, Elkashab M. Feasibility and Diagnostic Performance of the Fibroscan XL Probe for Liver Stiffness Measurement in Overweight and Obese Patients. Hepatology, 2012 Jan 24; 55 (1): 199-208, Coauthor
12. Myers RP, Pomier-Layrargues G, Kirsch R, Pollett A, Beaton MD, Levstik M, Duarte-Rojo A, Wong D, Crotty P, Landau M, Sasso M, Elkashab M. Discordance in Fibrosis Staging Between Liver Biopsy and Transient Elastography Using the Fibroscan XL Probe. J Hepatol Mar, 2012 Mar; 56 (3): 564-70, Coauthor
13. Beaton MD, Adams PC. Treatment of Hyperferritinemia. Ann Hepatol, 2012 Jun; 11 (3): 294-300, Principal Author
14. Wells M, Chande N, Adams P, Beaton MD, Levstik M, Boyce E, Mrkobrada M. Meta-analysis: Vasoactive Medications for the Treatment of Acute Variceal Bleeds:. Aliment Pharmacol Ther Jun, 2012 Jun; 35 (11): 1267-78, Coauthor
15. Beaton MD. NAFLD: A Review of Current Treatment Options. Can J Gastroenterol 2012;26:353-357, Principal Author
16. Myers RP, Pollett A, Kirsch R, Pomier-Layrargues G, Beaton M, Levstik M, Duarte-Rojo A, Wong D, Crotty P, Elkashab M. Controlled Attenuation Parameter (CAP): a noninvasive method for the detection of hepatic steatosis based on transient elastography. Liver International, 2012 Jul; 32 (6): 902-10, Coauthor
17. Durango E, Dietrich C, Seitz HK, Kunz CU, Pomier-Layrargues GT, Duarte-Rojo A, Beaton M, Elkhashab M, Myers RP, Mueller S. Direct comparison of the FibroScan XL and M probes for assessment of liver fibrosis in obese and nonobese patients. Hepatic Medicine: Evidence and Research, 2013; 5: 43-52, Coauthor
18. Beaton MD, Chakrabarti S, Levstik M, Speechley M, Marotta P, Adams P. Phase II clinical trial of phlebotomy for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2013;37(7):720-9. Principal Author
19. Mosli M, Croome K, Qumosani K, Al-Judaibi B, Marotta P, Beaton M, Chandok N. The Effect of Liver Transplantation for primary sclerosing cholangitis on disease activity in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Gastroenterol Hepatol 2013;9(7):434-41. Coauthor
20. Beaton MD, Chakrabarti S, Adams PC. Inflammation is not the cause of an elevated serum ferritin in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Ann Hepatol, 2014 Jun; 13 (3): 353-6, Principal Author
21. Addeman BT, Kutty S, Perkins TG, Soliman AS, Wiens CN, McCurdy CM, Beaton MD, Hegele RA, McKenzie CA. Validation of volumetric and single-slice MRI adipose analysis using a novel fully automated segmentation method. J Magn Reson Imaging, 2015 Jan; 41 (1): 233-41, Coauthor, DOI: 10.1002/jmri.24526.
22. Sandhu A, Mosli M, Yan B, Wu T, Gregor J, Chande N, Ponich T, Beaton M, Rahman A. Self-Screening for Malnutrition Risk in Outpatient Inflammatory Bowel Disease Patients Using the Malnutrition Universal Screening Tool (MUST). JPEN J Parenter Enteral Nutr, 2015 Jan 28, DOI: 10.1177/0148607114566656.
23. Mahmud FH, De Melo EN, Noordin K, Assor E, Sahota K, Davies-Shaw J, Cutz E, Somers G, Lawson M, Mack DR, Gallego P, McDonald C, Beaton MD, Bax K, Saibil F, Gilbert J, Kirsch S, Perkins BA, Cino M, Szentgyorgyi E, Koltin D, Parikh A, Mukerji G, Advani A, Lou O, Marcon MA. The Celiac Disease and Diabetes-Dietary Intervention and Evaluation Trial (CD-DIET) protocol: a randomised controlled study to evaluate treatment of asymptomatic coeliac disease in type 1 diabetes. 2015 May 11; 5 (5): e008097, Coauthor, DOI: 10.1136/bmjopen-2015-008097.
24. Wells M, Li ZJ, Addeman B, McKenzie CA, Mujoomdar A, Beaton M, Bird J. Computed tomography measurement of hepatic steatosis: Prevalence of hepatic steatosis in a Canadian population. Can J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 2015 Jun 30 (pii: 16940), Coauthor
25. Woolsey SJ, Mansell SE, Kim RB, Tirona RG, Beaton MD. CYP3A Activity and Expression in Non-Alcholic Fatty Liver Disease. Drug Metab Dispos, 2015 Oct; 43 (10): 1484-90, Coauthor