Master of Public Health
Master of Public Health Program
Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry
The Western Centre for Public Health and Family Medicine, 4th Floor
London, ON N6G 2M1
Times to Completion
Expected: 1 year (3 terms)
All candidates must also meet the following admission criteria:
- A four-year undergraduate degree with a minimum 70% (Canadian equivalent) over the last 2 years of study
- Demonstrated public health experience (work, volunteer, etc.)
- Demonstrated English language proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS) if you have not studied at the post-secondary level for at least 2 years in an English speaking country (Canada, United States, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and Nigeria). See below for details.
Recommended: Successfully completed undergraduate statistics course with a minimum 70% (Canadian equivalency) within the last five years.
Additionally, international students must meet English language fluency requirements as outlined below.
Applicants whose first language is not English must furnish evidence of their proficiency in the use of the English language by a satisfactory achievement within the last two years in one of the following:
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). The competitive score is 100 for the iBT with no individual score below 25; or 580 for the paper and pencil version. [Western's TOEFL ID is 0984].
- The International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) of the British Council. The competitive score is 7 out of 9 with no individual score lower than 6.5. The IELTS is offered in 6 test centres in the US and 3 in Canada.
- The Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) of the University of Michigan. Students must have at least 80 on each of the sections and an overall score of at least 85. Arrangements to write MELAB may be made online.
- The Canadian Academic English Language Assessment (CAEL Assessment). The competitive overall score is 70 with 70 in both writing and speaking . The CAEL Assessment is offered in several countries throughout the world as well as Canada.
- Fanshawe College’s ESL Program. The requirement is graduation from Level 5, Advanced Academic Preparation, with a minimum 80% in all components.
Students who are required to present evidence of proficiency in English must make their own arrangements to write the TOEFL, IELTS, MELAB or CAEL and to have the official results sent directly to the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies by the testing agency. Those graduates from Level 5 of the Fanshawe College ESL Program must provide official proof of graduation.
Domestic & International Students