Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry
Robarts Research Institute, Suite 1240
London, Ontario, Canada
t. 519.661.2111, ext. 87908
Times to Completion
- 21 terms (7 years)
Model 1 (for students with limited research experience)
- 3 years of research
- 4 years of undergraduate medical training
Model 2 (for students with research/training experience)
- 2 years of undergraduate medical training
- 3 years of research
- last 2 years of undergraduate medical training
A student wishing to get acceptance into the program needs to satisfy the admission requirements for both the MD program and the graduate program in their fields of study. The match-up of student with supervisor and project is tailored to each student. Preliminary explorations can be undertaken by candidates with prospective supervisors, and the MD/PhD committee can help to make the final decision. The recommendation for acceptance to the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies is the responsibility of that committee.
- Students must meet all admissions criteria of both the MD and the PhD programs.
- Qualified candidates are selected for interviews to get a sense of the general skills, pesonality and potential of the individual.
- Students entering the MD/PhD program will have either an honours or masters degree.
- Only Canadian citizens or those holding Canadian Permanent Resident status will be considered for admission.
- Candidates will be required to have completed all requirements for their graduate degrees prior to registration in the program.
- There is a separate application for the program aside from the application to OMSAS.
Along with the completed MD/PhD application, the following things are also required:
- An official copy of the student's transcript
- A curriculum vitae
- Written statement from the applicant describing his/her interest and commitment to the program, his/her area of research accomplishments, and possible directions for study
- Two confidential letters of reference emphasizing in particular, the student's aptitude for research (forms will be provided to assist the referees for their letters of reference - in PDF format)
December 1 - application deadline for MD/PhD program (**different from application to be submitted to OMSAS)