|Purpose:||Policy outlines when using university funds for catering is an allowable expense.|
|Applies To:||All faculty and staff|
|Next Review Date:||March 2026|
|Printable Copy:||Catering policy.pdf|
Scope:This policy applies to all meetings and/or events in which only faculty and staff are in attendance and does not apply to:
- Activities/events organized by Alumni and Development
- Recruitment interviews/dinners as organized by Faculty Affairs, for both Clinical and Basic Science appointments
- Dinners for invited speakers/special guests external to Western University
- Student events
- Grand Rounds for Clinical departments
- Receptions/lunches covered under Hospitality policy - Schulich Medicine & Dentistry
Catering Policy:During normal business hours (defined as 8:30am to 4:30pm), university funds are not to be used to pay for meals and/or refreshments for staff/faculty, except in the following situations:
- In-house training/education sessions greater than 3 hours in length.
- Staff/faculty work meetings during lunch (if unable to coordinate at another time during day).
- Staff/faculty are required to work outside of normal working hours, defined as being:
1. More than an hour before the start of their normal workday or more than an hour after the end of their normal workday; AND:
2. Over a normal meal period (i.e. breakfast or dinner)
Policy Principles:This policy outlines the rules and principles for university funded allowable expenses, ensures fair and reasonable practices, and provides a framework of accountability. These procedures are in accordance with applicable federal and provincial legislation including but not limited to legislation issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and the Broader Public Sector (BPS) Accountability Act and its related directives.
Compliance and Accountability:
Compliance is mandatory. Ineligible expenses will not be reimbursed. Enforcement of this policy is the responsibility of the Chair, Department Leader or Budget Manager. Schulich Finance will complete financial audits on an ongoing basis to ensure compliance.
All Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry Travel & Expense Reimbursement Policies are in addition to Western University’s MAPP 2.16 Travel & Expenses Reimbursement Policies. Research expense policies derived from external organizations will supersede all Western/Schulich expense policies and are the responsibility of the researcher to adhere to.