NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards
Note - Application submission is now closed. A list of eligible supervisors will be available on or after November 13, 2017 for the NSERC USRA Summer of 2018.
NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) enable undergraduate students to gain research experience under the supervision of a faculty member who holds an active NSERC award.
The award stipend provided by NSERC is $4,500 for 16 weeks of work. In addition, students receive a minimum 25% supplement provided from other sources.
To apply for a NSERC USRA through the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry:
- Consult the website of Western's Office of Research & Development Services
- See the NSERC website for information on USRA application guidelines, eligibility criteria, program requirements, and FAQs.
- Students should read the relevant department and faculty members’ websites for information on areas of research. This will help students to identify the appropriate faculty members as supervisors for their USRA research work.
- Contact suitable faculty members to discuss possible summer projects. A list of eligible faculty members within the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry will be available from Stacey Bastien at the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry Research Office, Clinical Skills Building, Room 2720, or Joan Estabrooks, at the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry Basic Medical Sciences Undergraduate Education Office, Medical Sciences Building, Room 138 on or after November 13, 2017. This list will not be available online .
When a student and a faculty member reach agreement on a possible summer project:
- The student must login or register at NSERC website .
- The student must complete Form 202 Part I online. Please note that “Official” transcripts are not required for students registered at and intending to complete their USRA at Western
- The student should print and complete this Stipend Form . The faculty member with whom they are applying should sign this and fill it in. There is no need for any other signature on the stipend form, except your supervisor’s.
- The Schulich NSERC USRA competition requests completion of this Supplemental Form (pdf format) (word format) to inform the adjudication panel for these awards.
- The student should print and complete the Access to Academic Records Form of Consent .
- The faculty member should login or register at NSERC website and complete Form 202 Part II online.
Applicants must use the online forms available on the NSERC website (http://www.nserc.ca/forms/formtable_e.htm). Please make sure you use the current version of Form 202, which is available on the NSERC website.
Submit the Stipend Form, Supplement Form and Access to Academic Records Form to the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry Research Office, Clinical Skills Building, 2720, by the deadline of Monday, January 22, 2018 .
Do not submit any additional materials with your application. Any additional materials will be discarded.
Recipients of these awards are expected to be selected by early March 2018.
Please note: Eligible Schulich Medicine & Dentistry supervisors may submit applications with only one student. Please confirm that your supervisor is aware of this.
Preference is given to second- and third-year students.
- NSERC video tutorial on applying for USRA
- Powerpoint presentation from the November 2016 NSERC USRA Information Session given by Western Research Development & Services
For further information: contact the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry Research Office, Clinical Skills Building, Second Floor, 2720, at 519.661.2111 ext. 87908 or email Stacey Bastien, Administrative Assistant with the Research Office.