Schulich school of Medicine and Dentistry logo Bachelor of Medical Sciences Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry

Volunteer and Work Study

Volunteer Opportunities

Volunteers in Progress (VIP) is a program offered by the Student Development Centre that is designed to provide Western students with rewarding opportunities that build on their experience.

Many BMSc students express an interest in volunteering in research laboratories.  At this point, there is no formalized process or best practice in place for finding volunteer positions.  Most researchers looking for student volunteers will post the position in Western Career Central.  

Approaching a researcher directly is similar to applying for a job.  Be courteous and well-informed about the "job" or research being performed in the lab.  Having an unofficial transcript and a short essay on why you would like to volunteer on hand shows initiative, which may also help when acquiring a volunteer position.

Work Study

Western’s Work Study program offers an opportunity for students to work part-time on campus in jobs that accommodate their studies. The objectives of the Work Study program are:

Financial need is determined in a manner similar to the Canada and Ontario Student Loans assessment. It involves assessing the costs of the program the student is registered in, based on advice from our students, and the resources available to them.

Financial assistance is also available during the summer term for registered summer students. The application for bursary and work-study funding is available via the Student Services website. To be eligible to apply, students must be registered in a minimum half credit during the Summer term and must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident.