Dr. Jim Lewis, MD, FRCPC
- Professor of Medicine
- Director of Clinical Research Training, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry
- Cross Appointment, Department of Physiology & Pharmacology
- Undergraduate, University of Western Ontario
- MD, University of Western Ontario
- Internal Medicine, Queen's University
- Respirology, University of Western Ontario
- Fellowship, Harbour UCLA Medical Centre, Torrence, California
- Asthma, exercise-induced asthma
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Lung Cancer
- Clinical Research: Imaging in cystic fibrosis, asthma
- Basic Research: lung injury, ARDS, surfactant
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Ontario Thoracic Society
- Cystic Fibrosis Canada
- Physicians' Services Incorporated Foundation
- Dean’s Award of Excellence, Local, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada, 2008
- HUMEC Award for Excellence in Medical Education - Respiration and Airways, Division of Respirology Award, 2007
Selected Publications (past 5 years):
- Bosma K, Read BA, Nikoo MJB, Jones PM, Priestap FA, Lewis JF. A pilot randominzed trail comparing weaning from mechanical ventilation on pressure support vs. proportional assist ventilation. Submitted December 2014 to Critical Care Medicine.
- Yamashita C, Fessler M, Vasanthamohan L, Lac J, Madenspacher J, McCaig L, Yao LJ, Wang L, Mehta S, Lewis J, Veldhuizen R. Apolipoprotein E definicient mice are susceptible to the development of acute lung injury. Respiration 2014;87(5):416-27.
- Yamashita C, Lewis J. Emerging therapies for treatment of acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome. Expert Opinion on Emerging Drugs Mar, 2012;17 (1): 1-4
- Yamashita C, Patterson E, Yao L, Lewis J, Cepinskas G, Ramic N, Veldhuizen R. Lung derived mediators induce cytokine production in downstream organs via an NF-KB dependent mechanism. Mediators of Inflammation 2013 Article ID 586895
- Thornton J, Lewis J, Lebrun CM, Licskai CJ. Clinical characteristics of women with menstrual linked asthma. Respiratory Medicine 2012. 106;1236-1243
- Qua Hiansen JM, Aspros A, Yao LJ, Amrein M, Bosma KJ, Lewis JF, Veldhuizen RAW. Cholesterol-mediated surfactant dysfunction (In Press 2014, Biochem Biophys Acta)
- Taut FJ, Bothe G, Schenk P, Dean N, Krell K, Gunther A, Lewis J, Spragg R. Strategies for achieving the goals of a lung-protective ventilation protocol in large clinical trials. J Clinic Trials 1:101, 2012
- Yamashita C, Lewis J. Emerging therapies for treatment of acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome. Expert Opinion on Emerging Drugs In Press 2012.
- Czyzewski AM, McCaig LM, Dohm MT, Broering LA, Yao LJ, Brown NJ, Lewis JF, Veldhuizen R, and Barron AE. The in vivo efficacy of biomimetic, peptoid-enhanced surfactants in treating acute lung injury. In Press JAP 2011.
- Spragg RG, Taut FJH, Lewis JF, Schenk P, Ruppert C, Dean N, Krell K, Karabinis A, Gunther A. Recombinant surfactant protein C based surfactant for patients with severe direct lung injury. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 183:1055-1061, 2011.
- Rocca N, McCaig L, Yao LJ, Potter R, Walker M, Veldhuizen R, Lewis J. The biological effects of lung-derived mediators on the liver. Exp Lung Res 37:419-426, 2011.
- Walker M, Yao L, Paterson E, Joseph M, Cepinskas G, Veldhuizen R, Lewis J, Yamashita C. The effect of tidal volume on systemic inflammation in acid-induced lung injury. Respiration 2011;81:333-342.
- Truscott EA, McCaig LA, Yao LJ, Veldhuizen RAW, Lewis JF. Surfactant protein-A reduces translocation of mediators from the lung into the circulation. Experimental Lung Research 26:431-436, 2010.
- Bosma K, Taneja R, Lewis J. Pharmacotherapy for prevention and treatment of acute respiratory distress syndrome. Current and experimental approaches. Drugs 70(10):1255-1282, 2010.
- Aspros A, Cota C, Lewis JF, Veldhuizen RAW. Evaluating the combination of high frequency oscillatory ventilation and surfactant treatment in an acid aspiration model of lung injury. Can J Phys Pharm 88:14-20 2010.
- Ford NL, Martin EL, Lewis JF, Veldhuizen RAW, Holdsworth DW, Drangova M. Quantifying lung morphology and function using retrospectively respiratory-gated micro-CT in a murine model of emphysema. Phys Med Biol. 54:2121-2130 Feb 2009.
- Pace P, Veldhuizen R, Lewis J. Hyperoxia-exposure produces oxidation of pulmonary surfactant in a rat model of acute lung injury. Exp Lung Res 35(5):380-398, 2009.
- Markovic N, McCaig L, Stephen J, Mizuguchi S, Veldhuizen R, Lewis J, Cepinskas G. Mediators released from LPS-challenged lungs induce inflammatory responses in liver vascular endothelial cells and neutrophilic leukocytes. American Journal of Physiology - Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology 297:G1066-G1076, 2009.
- Walker M, Tessolini J, McCaig L, Yao LJ, Lewis JF, Veldhuizen RAW. Elevated endogenous surfactant reduces inflammation in an acute lung injury model. Exp Lung Res. 35(7):591-604, 2009.
St. Joseph's Health Centre
268 Grosvenor St. London, ON
Phone: (519) 646-6288
Administrative Assistant: Cathy Ede
Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry
Clinical Skills Bldg Rm 2709
Administrative Assistant: Stacey Bastien