Dr. Jim Lewis, MD, FRCPC
- Professor of Medicine
- Assistant Dean, Clinical Research, 2006-2011
- Cross Appointment, Department of Physiology & Pharmacology
- Undergraduate, University of Western Ontario
- MD, University of Western Ontario
- Internal Medicine, Queen's University
- Respirology, University of Western Ontario
- Fellowship, Harbour UCLA Medical Centre, Torrence, California
- Asthma, exercise-induced asthma
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Lung Cancer
- Clinical Research: Imaging in cystic fibrosis, asthma
- Basic Research: lung injury, ARDS, surfactant
- Imaging pulmonary exacerbations in patients with cystic fibrosis, Research - Operating, St. Joseph’s Health Centre Foundation, Principal Investigator, 2012-13 (Applied)
- The Role of Hypercholesterolemia in Acute Lung Injury, Research - Operating, Canadian Health Research Institute (CIHR), PI: Cory Yamahsita, Co-Principal Investigator, Applied, 2012-2017
- The effects of mechanical ventilation on the biophysical properties of pulmonary surfactant, Research - Operating, PI: Ruud Veldhuizen, Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR), Co-Principal Investigator, 2011 - 2016
- Functional and metabolic magnetic resonance imaging of lung inflammation, Research - Operating, PI: Giles Santyr, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), Co-Principal Investigator, 2011 - 2014
- The effects of mechanical ventilation on the biophysical properties of pulmonary surfactant, Research - Operating, PI: R Veldhuizen, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), Co-Applicant, 2010 - 2011
- The role of MMP-3 in acute lung injury and multiple organ failure, Research - Operating, Parker B. Francis Fellowship (C. Yamashita), Mentor, 2010 - 2013
- The role of the surfactant system in acute lung injury and progression to multi-organ failure, Research - Operating, Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Principal Investigator, 2007 - 2012
- Dean’s Award of Excellence, Local, University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada, 2008
- HUMEC Award for Excellence in Medical Education - Respiration and Airways, Division of Respirology Award, 2007
- Thornton J, Lewis J, Lebrun CM, Licskai CJ. Clinical characteristics of women with menstrual linked asthma. Respiratory Medicine submitted Feb 2012.
- Qua Hiansen JM, Aspros A, Yao LJ, Amrein M, Bosma KJ, Lewis JF, Veldhuizen RAW. Cholesterol-mediated surfactant dysfunction in human surfactant. Respiratory Research, Submitted 2012.
- Taut FJ, Bothe G, Schenk P, Dean N, Krell K, Gunther A, Lewis J, Spragg R. Strategies for achieving the goals of a lung-protective ventilation protocol in large clinical trials. Contemporary Clinical Trials, Submitted 2012.
- Yamashita C, Lewis J. Emerging therapies for treatment of acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome. Expert Opinion on Emerging Drugs In Press 2012.
- Czyzewski AM, McCaig LM, Dohm MT, Broering LA, Yao LJ, Brown NJ, Lewis JF, Veldhuizen R, and Barron AE. The in vivo efficacy of biomimetic, peptoid-enhanced surfactants in treating acute lung injury. In Press JAP 2011.
- Spragg RG, Taut FJH, Lewis JF, Schenk P, Ruppert C, Dean N, Krell K, Karabinis A, Gunther A. Recombinant surfactant protein C based surfactant for patients with severe direct lung injury. Am J Resp Crit Care Med 183:1055-1061, 2011.
- Rocca N, McCaig L, Yao LJ, Potter R, Walker M, Veldhuizen R, Lewis J. The biological effects of lung-derived mediators on the liver. Exp Lung Res 37:419-426, 2011.
- Walker M, Yao L, Paterson E, Joseph M, Cepinskas G, Veldhuizen R, Lewis J, Yamashita C. The effect of tidal volume on systemic inflammation in acid-induced lung injury. Respiration 2011;81:333-342.
- Truscott EA, McCaig LA, Yao LJ, Veldhuizen RAW, Lewis JF. Surfactant protein-A reduces translocation of mediators from the lung into the circulation. Experimental Lung Research 26:431-436, 2010.
- Bosma K, Taneja R, Lewis J. Pharmacotherapy for prevention and treatment of acute respiratory distress syndrome. Current and experimental approaches. Drugs 70(10):1255-1282, 2010.
- Aspros A, Cota C, Lewis JF, Veldhuizen RAW. Evaluating the combination of high frequency oscillatory ventilation and surfactant treatment in an acid aspiration model of lung injury. Can J Phys Pharm 88:14-20 2010.
- Ford NL, Martin EL, Lewis JF, Veldhuizen RAW, Holdsworth DW, Drangova M. Quantifying lung morphology and function using retrospectively respiratory-gated micro-CT in a murine model of emphysema. Phys Med Biol. 54:2121-2130 Feb 2009.
- Pace P, Veldhuizen R, Lewis J. Hyperoxia-exposure produces oxidation of pulmonary surfactant in a rat model of acute lung injury. Exp Lung Res 35(5):380-398, 2009.
- Markovic N, McCaig L, Stephen J, Mizuguchi S, Veldhuizen R, Lewis J, Cepinskas G. Mediators released from LPS-challenged lungs induce inflammatory responses in liver vascular endothelial cells and neutrophilic leukocytes. American Journal of Physiology - Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology 297:G1066-G1076, 2009.
- Walker M, Tessolini J, McCaig L, Yao LJ, Lewis JF, Veldhuizen RAW. Elevated endogenous surfactant reduces inflammation in an acute lung injury model. Exp Lung Res. 35(7):591-604, 2009.
- Maruscak A, Vockeroth D, Girardi B, Sheikh T, Possmayer F, Lewis J, Veldhuizen R. Alterations to surfactant precede physiological deterioration during high tidal volume ventilation. AJP: Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology 294:L974-L983, 2008.
- Yamashita C, Forbes A, Tessolini J, Yao L-J, Lewis J, Veldhuizen R. Protective effects of endogenous surfactant poos to injurious mechanical ventilation. AJP Lung Cellular and Molecular Physiology April 2008 294:L724-L732.
- Bailey T, Maruscak A, Martin E, Forbes A, Petersen A, McCaig L, Lewis J, Veldhuizen R. The effects of long-term conventional mechanical ventilation on the lungs of adult rats. Crit Care Med 36(8):2381-2387, 2008.
- Taut FJ, Rippin G, Schenk P, Findlay G, Wurst W, Hafner D, Lewis JF, Seeger W, Gunther A, Spragg RG. A search for subgroups of patietns with ARDS who may benefit from surfactant replacement therapy; a pooled analysis of five studies with recombinant surfactant protein-C surfactant (Venticute). Oct;134(4):724-32, 2008.
- Ford NL, Martin EL, Lewis JF, Veldhuizen RAW, Drangova M, Holdsworth DW. In vivo characterization of lung morphology and function in free-breathing mice using non-invasive micro-computed tomography. J. Appl. Physiol 102:2046-2055, 2007.
- Martin EL, Truscott EA, Bailey TC, McCaig L, Leco K, Lewis JL, Veldhuizen RAW. Lung mechanics in the TIMP3 null mouse and its response to mechanical ventilation. Exp Lung Res 33:99-113, 2007.
- Forbes A, Pickell M, Foroughian M, Yao L, Lewis J, Veldhuizen R. Alveolar macrophage depletion results in increased surfactant pool sizes in adult rats. J. Appl. Physiol. 2007 (doi:10.1152).
- Martin E, Sheikh T, Leco K, Lewis J, Veldhuzien R. Contribution of alveolar macrophages to the response of the TIMP3 null lung during a septic insult. Am J Lung Cell Mol Physiol 293:L779-L789, 2007.
- Bosma K, Lewis F. Emerging therapies for treatment or ARDS. Expert Opinion on Emerging Drugs. 12(3):461-477, 2007.
St. Joseph's Health Centre
268 Grosvenor St. London, ON
Phone: (519) 646-6288
Administrative Assistant: Cathy Ede