MedQUEST* Clinical Teaching Elective
Year 1 & 2 Schulich Medicine Students and MedQUEST Health Career Exploration Program Alumni
MedQUEST Health Career Exploration Program is the teaching component of a six week, clinical-teaching elective, offered in rural regional Southwestern Ontario, to Year 1 and Year 2 Schulich Medicine students as well as former participants in the MedQUEST program who are currently attending first or second year at an Ontario medical school. Participating communities warmly welcome medical students for this unique placement, where experiences are divided between clinical observerships (Family Medicine, ER, OR, OBS/GYN, EMS, Allied Health Professions) and MedQUEST program teaching preparations.
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR 2013
- Clinical Elective: June 10 - July 21, 2013
- Camp: July 8-12, 2013
The MedQUEST Clinical Teaching Elective continues to be a cornerstone in the long-term vision of SWOMEN building a continuum of opportunities for medical students to experience living, learning and working in Southwestern Ontario.
This elective was designed to provide first and second year medical students with a unique and diverse opportunity
- to experience rural regional medicine through observerships in various medical settings (family medicine, ER, OR, OB/GYN, EMS, allied health professions)
- to inspire and mentor local youth to consider the health care careers through a teaching week - MedQUEST Health Career Exploration Program.
Substantial benefits for Schulich students occur through clinical placements with community preceptors, learning of practical skills, teaching/mentoring, acquiring leadership skills and participating in interprofessional education.
Participating communities warmly welcome medical students for this experience. They support students as they begin living, learning, and working in their community, over the course of six weeks. Working together with the area community coordinator & physician lead, MedQUEST programming begins to take shape. In the 4 weeks preceding the teaching week, time will be divided between multi-disciplined clinical placements and planning for the MedQUEST curriculum. MedQUEST Health Career Exploration Program will be delivered to secondary school students (in grades 10 & 11) during week five. The final week (week 6) within the community will allow for observerships of your interest, community experience review/evaluation and happy celebrations.
Is MedQUEST Right for You?
Are you looking for a variety of clinical experience?
- MedQUEST is a unique elective, where you are with more than one preceptor.
Are you interested in exploring medical practices outside of the academic centre?
- MedQUEST is community based, supported by rural, regional hospital, health alliances and family health teams.
Are you interested in teaching and mentoring secondary school students and inspiring them to chose a career in medicine/health care?
- MedQUEST gives you the opportunity to teach, and share your knowledge and skills acquired through your observerships with local grade 10 & 11 students.
MedQUEST “Fast” Facts
Elective is 6 weeks in length
- Clinical observerships with a variety of physicians, allied professionals
- Teaching Week – MedQUEST Health Career Exploration Program
- Time is divided between hands-on clinical training & teaching week program building – an approximately 60/40 split
- Supported by community coordinator, physician lead, area health professionals
- 3 medical student placements per community
- Accommodations are provided through SWOMEN
Travel/km is supported through SWOMEN
- PLEASE NOTE – YOU MUST HAVE A CAR
First and second year students of the Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry are eligible to apply for medical student advisor positions with MedQUEST. It is important to note that three positions are required for each program location.
We are very pleased to be working with our community partners to offer MedQUEST in the following locations this summer. The communities participating, with program dates, are listed below:
|MedQUEST 2013: June 10 - July 21, 2012|
|Oxford-Elgin||Ingersoll / Mount Elgin / Tillsonburg|
|Sarnia-Lambton||Sarnia (Bluewater Health)|
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED FOR 2013
Thank you for your thoughtful consideration of the
MedQUEST Clinical Teaching Elective.
Applications to participate in the MedQUEST Clinical Teaching Elective will be available, online in January 2013. This opportunity is available to 1st and 2nd year Schulich Medicine students, as well as former MedQUEST high school participants who are currently attending 1st or 2nd year in an Ontario Medical School.
Once the online application has been submitted, students are asked to submit the following supporting documentation:
- Cover Letter
- Short Letter of Intent (250-500 words)
This information may be forwarded to the MedQUEST Coordinator at SWOMEN@schulich.uwo.ca.
When all of the above information has been received, your application will be considered complete, and eligible for consideration.
An interview with the MedQUEST Coordinator will be scheduled at a time of mutual convenience. An offer of acceptance will be forwarded to successful applicants via email. The favor of a reply to confirm acceptance is requested within 7 days.
PLEASE NOTE: Placements are limited, and available to 1st and 2nd year medical students, as well as MedQUEST Health Career Exploration Alumni. Placements will therefore be awarded on a first come-first served basis, for complete applications.
Please feel free to contact MedQUEST Coordinator Kathy Van Dinther if you have any questions:
t: 519.858.5152 x. 22147 or 1.877.237.9676