• Opening remarks by special guests, including Mr. Kirk Baines, Dr. Stephen Robbins and MP Peter Fragiskatos
• 8 fantastic TED-Talks that were informative and engaging
• An incredible keynote lecture by Dr. Paul Hergenrother on, “Anticancer drug discovery, for pets and people”
• Innovative research poster sessions, with over 80 abstracts submitted and presented!
• Facilitated networking sessions over lunch
• Swag bags and a photo booth!
• Social media engagement using the hashtags #ONCRESEARCHDAY and #LndOntOncology
• An afternoon award ceremony with hot appetizers and cocktails, celebrating various awards!
• 3 morning poster award winners: Ingrid Qemo, Emily Rodrigues and Katie Parkins
• 3 afternoon poster award winners: Adrian Buensuceso, Andrew Deweyert and Parima Saxena
• 2 oral presentation award winners: Kara Ruicci and Peter Martin
• Department of Oncology’s Excellence in Academic and Teaching Awards (5):
Division of Medical Oncology: Dr. Sara Kuruvilla
Division of Radiation Oncology: Dr. Jeff Cao
Division of Surgical Oncology: Dr. Jonathon Izawa
Division of Experimental Oncology: Dr. Alison Allan
Division of Windsor Oncology: Dr. Junaid Yousuf
• Denise Power Cancer Research Staff Award: Carl Postenka
• We also formally acknowledged and congratulated two individuals for their tremendous contributions to cancer research:
Dr. Jerry Batista, recently received the 2017 Canadian Organization of Medical Physics (COMP) Gold Medal Award, he was recently conferred as Professor Emeritus at the Convocation Ceremony for Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry (Doctor of Medicine, Class of 2017) and he was also awarded the prestigious Canadian Association of Physicists and the Canadian Organization of Medical Physicists 2017 CAP-COMP Peter Kirkby Memorial Medal.
Dr. Mary Mathews, Resident in Medical Oncology, was recently announced as the winner of the Dr. Ed Brecivic Award for Compassionate Care.