Dean’s Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program
DUROP Summer 2019
Dean’s Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (DUROP) enable undergraduate students to gain research experience under the supervision of a faculty member at the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry.
The award stipend provided by the Dean is $3,000 for 16 weeks of research. In addition, students receive a minimum $3,000 matching stipend provided from their supervisor (faculty member).
To apply for a DUROP through the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry:
NEW 2019: There will only be ONE application for both the student and supervisor, there will be no supervisor postions posted as in past years. Applicants will be pre-matched (see application for more info).
- The DUROP online form to apply will open January 14th, 2019. Once the form opens, students have 4 weeks to find a supervisor that wishes to work with them over the summer. Application deadline is Febuary 14th, 2019 (midnight).
- Students should read the relevant department and faculty members’ websites for information on areas of research. This will help students to identify the appropriate faculty members as supervisors for their research work.
- Contact suitable faculty members to discuss possible summer projects. Any faculty member who has supervision duties granted with the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies can supervise an undergraduate student project. All areas of research within Schulich Medicine & Dentistry are eligible.
- Faculty may interview as many students that they wish. Students may need to provide both transcripts and C.V.’s to faculty members. Please note that only one DUROP application per faculty member will be accepted. Students that are accepted for the NSERC-USRA competition are ineligible for the DUROP.
When a student and a faculty member reach agreement on a possible summer project:
- The student must fill in the application form at (application is now CLOSED)
- The faculty member must provide the project description to the student for the online application. Please be sure to clearly describe the role of the student in this proposal.
Students who have received the award have now been notified by email. The award letter along with an agreement form was sent out March 28th. We will announce the winners online, once we have received their acceptances. A direct link will be provided here, by mid-April.
Please note: Each eligible Schulich Medicine & Dentistry supervisor may submit one application. Please confirm that your supervisor is aware of this.
DUROP STUDENTS: All students with a DUROP fellowship will be expected to give a 3 Minute Thesis, in person. The 3MT presentation is in the third week of August, date to be announced at a later time.
For further information: contact the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry Research Office, Clinical Skills Building, Second Floor, 2713, or email Janelle Pritchard (firstname.lastname@example.org), Manager Graduate Studies .