The Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry offers one of the highest levels of financial support for graduate students at Western and across Canada.
- Full stipend support for students in thesis-based research programs
- Our students attract nearly $3 million annually in external graduate scholarships
- Special awards and fellowships are also available for Schulich Medicine & Dentistry graduate students
Students are encouraged to review all opportunities available and apply to those for which you are eligible.
Provincial and National Graduate Scholarships
OGS awards are merit-based scholarships available to students in all disciplines of graduate study. The OGS program is jointly funded by the Province of Ontario and Ontario universities. The province of Ontario contributes two-thirds of the value of every award the university provides one-third through private donations to Western.
Value: Maximum value of $15,000, or $5,000 per term for 3 consecutive terms. A student may accept the award for just two (2) terms, or $10,000. Awards must be held for at least two consecutive full terms.
Deadline: Late January
1. An OGS is a full year award and therefore can only be offered to an applicant who has at least three (3) full terms of eligibility remaining as of their intended award start date.
2. OGS support for the 5th year of a 4-year Ph.D. is an exception only and requires SGPS approval.
3. Degree Straddling while holding an OGS is allowed if the applicant will be completing the Master’s degree and immediately starting the Ph.D. with full-time registration remaining continuous.
4. Current Master’s-level applicants who intend to undertake doctoral study while holding the OGS (i.e. a future M>D transfer or a degree straddle) may indicate their intention in the Special Circumstances section.
The objective of the Canada Graduate Scholarships - Master’s Program (CGSM) is to help develop research skills and assist in the training of highly qualified personnel by supporting students who demonstrate a high standard of achievement in undergraduate and early graduate studies.
Value: $17,500 for 12 months, non-renewable
Deadline: December 1
For a detailed list of funding, awards, scholarships, and prizes, please visit Funding Opportunities at Western Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies. For a list of external opportunities for which you may also be eligible, click here.
Schulich Medicine & Dentistry Internal Graduate Awards
The Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry offers a number of awards and fellowships for its graduate students.
- The Collip Medal Award
- Nellie Farthing Fellowship in the Medical Sciences
- Drs. Madge and Charles Macklin Fellowship - Publications
- Drs. Madge and Charles Macklin Fellowship - Teaching
- Morris Knoll Memorial Scholarship in Cancer Research
- The Jonathan and Joshua Memorial Graduate Scholarship
- Cobban Student Award in Heart and Stroke Research