2018 Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Annual Conference
Department of Psychiatry, Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Annual Conference
Understanding Gender Identity Development in Children and Youth
May 4, 2018
8:30 am - 4:30 pm
Four Points by Sheraton London
1150 Wellington Road South, London, ON
Overall Learning Objectives
1. Recognizing biological, psychological and social influences on gender identity development
2. Become aware of the current clinical practice guidelines to manage gender dysphoria in youth
3. Understanding the intersection between mental health outcomes and gender identity development
4. Identify opportunities and challenges in providing optimal care for gender diverse youth
Keynote Speaker: Dr. Scott F. Leibowitz
"Today's Genderation of Children and Adolescents: Challenges, Opportunities, and Multidisciplinary Collaboration"
Plenary Speaker: Dr. Devita Singh
"From DSM-III (1980) to DSM-5 (2013): Reflections on Understanding Gender Dysphoria"
Who Should Attend?
Psychiatrists, Family Physicians, Pediatricians, Psychologists, Nurses, Social Workers, Researchers, Allied Health Professionals, Educators and Administrators working with the children and youth.
Contact: Jason Widdes CPD Coordinator, Phone: 519.685.8500 ext. 75783
****PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE CLICKING TO REGISTER**
REGISTRATION FEES: Prices are per person; includes lunch and refreshment breaks please note any dietary requirements
Early Bird (until April 13, 2018) - $160 (includes HST)
AFTER April 13, 2018- $185 (includes HST)
University of Western HST# R10816 2587 RT0001
*Parkwood Mental Health care workers and LHSC Child and Youth workers please contact Jason.Widdes@sjhc.london.on.ca for a discounted rate.
Please choose one morning session and one afternoon session
There are 4 workshops please choose a morning workshop and a different afternoon workshop.
We will endeavor to accommodate your choices, however, workshop numbers are limited and may be assigned based on space availability.
- Dr. Devita Singh— Therapeutic Care of Adolescents with Gender Dysphoria
- To provide an overview of a clinical model of assessment when working with adolescents with gender dysphoria.
- To provide an overview of associated mental health issues experienced by adolescents with gender dysphoria and how these issues can be integrated with an overall therapeutic plan.
- To provide an overview of the clinical guidelines outlined in the World Professional Association for Transgender Health’s Standards of Care.
- Dr. Ken Zucker : Therapeutic Care of Gender Dysphoria in Pre-pubertal Children
- To provide an overview of the current therapeutic approaches, and their theoretical and philosophical underpinnings, when working with pre-pubertal children with a DSM-5 diagnosis of Gender Dysphoria
- To provide an overview of associated mental health issues experienced by children with gender dysphoria and how these issues can be integrated with an overall therapeutic plan.
- To provide an overview of long-term follow-up studies of children with gender dysphoria, including what is known about predictors of long-term outcome.
- Dr. Robert Stein: Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes: Medical Management of Gender Dysphoria in Youths
- To understand the medical options available for children with gender dysphoria
- To understand the appropriate timing for initiation of medical intervention for gender dysphoria
- To understand the expected benefits and potential risks of hormonal therapy in children with gender dysphoria
- London Intercommunity Health Centre: Andrew Sharpe NP, Andrea Sereda MD, Meaghan Bolack MSW, Robbie McLaughlin RN: Primary care for trans youth
- To understand gender diversity in youth
- How to approach primary care for gender diverse youth
- How to apply collaborative practices to gender diverse youth
- To understand transgender care in primary care practices