The Department of Family and Community Medicine at Northeast Ohio Medical University (NEOMED) is sponsoring its 32nd annual poetry writing competition during the 2013-2014 academic year. The competition is open to medicine students attending colleges of medicine or osteopathy in the United States and Canada. Preliminary judging will be done by English department faculty at NEOMED's partner universities, and final judging will be by Richard M. Berlin, M.D., psychiatrist and poet from the University of Massachusetts Medical School. The editors of the Journal of Medical Humanities will review the winning poems and consider them for possible publication.
Rules & Regs:
- Entries must be postmarked no later than Dec. 31, 2013.
- Each participating student is permitted three entries.
- Poems must be typed on 8.5 x 11 inch paper.
- Poems must be written in English and can reflect medical as well as non-medical subjects.
- Five copies of each poem must be submitted.
- A separate cover page should be attached to the original copy of each poem and should include the poet's name, current address and phone number, permanent address and phone number, email address, name of the poet's college or school of medicine or osteopathy (United States and Canada only) and the title of the work.
- All entries will undergo blind review and should contain no identifying information other than the title of the poem.
- Winning poetry will be selected on the basis of craftsmanship, originality and content.
- Each poem must be original, unpublished (except for college publications) and must not have won a contest at the time of submission. Previous monetary winners in the William Carlos Williams poetry competition are not eligible.
- Each poem is not to exceed 750 words.
- Receipt of entries will not be acknowledged unless a self-addressed, stamped envelope is included.
- Entrants must be enrolled in programs leading to the Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree.
- Winning poems will be announced on the NEOMED website by March 31, 2014.
- The top three poets will be awarded $300, $200 and $100 respectively.
- In addition, the three winners will be invited to visit NEOMED on April 4, 2014, to read their poems. All travel expenses will be paid by the Department of Family and Community Medicine.
- Please indicate on the cover sheet if you read this information on a displayed poster or electronically.
Entries should be mailed to:
Northeast Ohio Medical University
Department of Family and Community Medicine WCW Poetry Competition
4209 St. Rt. 44, PO Box 95
Rootstown, Ohio 44272-0095
Let us know if your poem is selected! Please email email@example.com