The American Pediatric Society (APS) and Society for Pediatric Research Student Research Program (SPR) offer a medical student research training program to encourage gifted medical students to consider careers in research related to pediatrics. This program is specifically designed for students seeking a research opportunity at an institution other than their own medical school.
Students selected to the program are able to choose or are assigned to leading research laboratories/groups. Currently, our Directory of Laboratories/Research Groups lists research opportunities at more than 300 facilities. Each research experience allows the student to spend two to three months at 40 hours per week in a research environment. The program provides students with a stipend of $61.20/day (as of 2012) for a maximum stipend of $5,508.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a medical school in the U.S. or in Canada and in good standing at the time of the application. Applicants with any medical degree are not eligible.
- Students who have already participated in this program are not eligible.
- The research opportunity must not be completed at the medical school of enrollment.
- Choices should be selections made from the Laboratory/Research Group Directory which includes APS/ SPR members who participate in the program. The application should include the laboratories/groups of interest to the student.
- The student is responsible for arranging living quarters, transportation and submitting reports and evaluations.
- At the time of application, students should arrange to have the application, personal data form, dean's letter, and both faculty recommendation forms sent directly to the Student Research Committee at the address indicated on the application.
- Notify the Student Research Coordinator of any address/telephone changes.
- Students are selected by the Student Research Subcommittee.
- The actual selection is made on the basis of an assessment of the student's application and the two (2) faculty recommendations.
- With guidance from the applicant, every effort is made to place students with the laboratory/group of their choice to match their particular interests and talents.
- APS/SPR welcomes applications from all qualified candidates and encourage under-represented groups to apply.
Apply before January 24 - click here for an application.
Click here to search the student research directory for participating labs and research groups.
Click here for more information.