Friday, September 6, 2013
Check out these useful tips to keep you, your property and those around you safe.
1. Lock your room door whenever you leave, even if it is only for a few minutes.
2. If your door has a deadbolt, use it when you leave at the end of the day.
3. Do not bring valuable personal possessions from home as University insurance only covers items bought on a Western account.
4. If you are not already on the Schulich Medicine & Dentistry network, consider moving over so that your important data is kept centrally and backed up regularly. If you do your own backups, keep the backups off site in case of fire or theft.
5. Call 911 from a campus phone for all situations which pose an immediate threat (fire, medical, suspicious or threatening persons). Call 519.661.3300 to reach campus police from a cell phone. In emergency situations on campus, it is very important not to call 911 directly from your cell phone as this can slow down the actual response.
6. Use the services of the Western Foot Patrol if you are working late.
7. Do not prop exterior doors open. Close doors if you see that someone else has propped them open. Report malfunctioning doors to Kevin Inchley or Campus Police.
8. Use only visible and well lit entrances when entering and leaving the buildings at night.
9. Do not leave building keys in your office. Keep them with you at all times.
10. Secure all expensive university property in an appropriate fashion. Items such as laptops should be secured inside a locked cabinet within a locked room. University self insurance does not cover stolen items where there is no sign of forced entry nor does it cover university owned items stolen from your personal car or private residence.
11. Do not leave purses, wallets or cash unattended or in an unlocked drawer.
12. Is your WHMIS up to date? Click here for more information and to self register on OWL.