The child protection service within the Department of Paediatrics at Children's Hospital provides medical consultation to children and families where there is suspected physical
For children requiring hospitalization, the CPT is responsible for case management and collaboration with other hospital services and community agencies.
Regional consultation support is provided to physicians, hospitals, Children's Aid Societies, police forces and crown attorneys in Southwestern Ontario.
- Children and youth under the age of 18 made up 24% of the Canadian population and were victims in 23% of all police-reported assaults;
- Children under the age of 18 represented 60% of all sexual assault victims and 19% of physical assault victims;
- Within families, parents were the main perpetrators of assaults against children and youth.
- Parents represented 65% of family member's accused of physically assaulting their children and 44% of those accused of sexually assaulting their children
- The Child Abuse Committee at CHWO reviews 80-100 cases of suspected physical abuse, sexual abuse, neglect and maltreatment of children annually.