Dr. Cindy Hutnik
Dr. C.M.L. Hutnik BSc, MD, PhD, FRCS(C)
Ivey Eye Institute
St. Joseph's Hospital
268 Grosvenor Street
London, Ontario N6A 4V2
Phone: 519.646.6100 x.66272
Specialty: Comprehensive Ophthalmology
Clinical Focus: Cataracts and Glaucoma (Adult)
Residency: Western University
Depts of Ophthalmology and Pathology,
Diplomate of American Board of Ophthalmology
Dept of Chemistry & Biochemistry,
University of Windsor
Associate Scientist, Centre for Clinical Investigation and Therapeutics, Lawson Health Research Institute
Dr. Hutnik completed doctorate work at the National Research Council of Canada in Ottawa prior to her medical training at the University of Ottawa. This was followed by ophthalmic training at Western University and the University of Wisconsin, Madison, the latter under the mentorship of Dr. Paul Kaufman.
Dr. Hutnik has a full-time clinical glaucoma practice at the Ivey Eye Institute in London, Ontario where she is involved in the clinical training of residents and medical students. She is a member of the international Tear Film and Ocular Surface committee of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology and is a member of a number of editorial boards. She is also an Advisory Board member of a number of major pharmaceutical companies.
Dr. Hutnik is Medical Coordinator of the ophthalmic basic science laboratory at the Lawson Health Research Institute in London. She supervises an independent program of both clinical and basic science research. Dr. Hutnik’s research administrative roles include membership on the Board of Directors of the Lawson Health Research Institute, Chair of Research in the Department of Ophthalmology and Chair of the Summer Research Training Program at Western University. The latter fosters an interest in, and aptitude for, research in junior medical students. In addition to the supervision of medical student and resident research, Dr. Hutnik is involved with the supervision of 4th Honours Thesis students in the Departments of Pathology and Physiology, as well as keen secondary school students through various Co-op programs.
- Crichton, A.C.S., Harasymowycz, P., Hutnik, C.M.L., Behki, R., Boucher, S., Ibrahim, F., Rifkind, A., Solomon, L., Liao, C., Bastien, N., Sampalis, J.S. (2009) “Effectiveness of Dorzolamide-Timolol in Patients Who Were Treatment-Naïve for Open Angle Glaucoma or Ocular Hypertension: The COSOPT First-Line (CFL) Study”, Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Submitted.
- Pocrnich, C.E., Liu, H., Feng, M., Peng, T., Feng, Q., HUTNIK, C.M.L.. (2009) “p38 Mitogen-Activated Protein Kinase Protects Human Retinal Pigment Epithelial Cells Exposed to Oxidative Stress”, Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology, In press.
- Yuen, D., Gonder, J., Proulx, A., Liu, H., HUTNIK,C.M.L. (2009) “Comparison of the In Vitro Toxicity of Brilliant Blue G to Other Intraocular Dyes in Retinal Epithelial and Ganglion/ Glial Cultures”, Am J Ophthalmol, 147(2), 251-259. Epub 2008 Nov 7.
- Jackman, C.S., Boekhoud, J.J, Teichman, J., Tingey, D.P. and HUTNIK, C.M.L. (2009) “The Assessment of Anomalous Optic Discs: The Role of Optical Coherence Tomography”, Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology, In preparation.
- Zhou, A., Giroux, J., Mao., HUTNIK, C.M.L. (2009) “Effect of Cataract Surgery on Intraocular Pressure and Anterior Chamber Angle”, Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology, Submitted.
- Martow, E., HUTNIK, C.M.L., Mao, A. “SLT and Adjunctive Medical Therapy: A Prediction Rule Analysis”, Journal of Glaucoma, Submitted.
- Leonard, K.C., HUTNIK, C.M.L., Newson, T.A., Holdsworth, D.W., O’Carroll, D., Barfett, J. and Hill. K.A. (2008) “A novel technique for modeling drug and fluid transfer through the eye using micro-CT”, In Preparation.
- Mao, A., Pan, X., McIlraith, I., Strasfeld, M., Colev, G. and HUTNIK, C.M.L. (2008) “Development of a Prediction Rule to Estimate the Probability of Acceptable Intraocular Pressure Reduction after Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty in Open-angle Glaucoma and Ocular Hypertension”, Journal of Glaucoma, 17(6), 449-454.
- Hutnik, C.M.L., Pocrnich, C.E., Liu, H., Laird, D.W. and Shao, Q. (2008) “The protective effect of functional connexin43 channels on a human epithelial cell line exposed to oxidative stress”, IOVS, 49(2), 800-806.