Tuesday, January 28, 2014
Global Opportunities Awards
The Global Opportunities Awards are $1,000 scholarships for international learning provided through generous donations matched by funding from Western. A number of donor-sponsored awards valued at $2,000 are also available. These scholarships enable more Western students to participate in exchanges, study abroad programs, international field courses, summer programs, international service learning, field research and more.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY?
• Full-time undergraduate and graduate students registered at Western who have completed at least their first year of study.
• Students in all faculties with the exception of the Richard Ivey School of Business.
• Students registered at affiliate university colleges are not eligible.
• Experiences inside Canada are not eligible.
• Students may only receive one Global Opportunity award during their Western career.
To qualify for these awards, the experience must meet at least one of the following criteria:
• Be organized by Western University staff, faculty or department
• Be eligible for academic credit
• Form a required component of the student's degree program
WHAT TYPES OF EXPERIENCES QUALIFY?
• Academic exchange programs
• Study abroad programs
• Curriculum-based international field courses, international study, or community service involving additional expense to the student
• Summer programs
• Field research
• Other University-led credit or non-credit international learning experiences
HOW ARE RECIPIENTS SELECTED?
Undergraduate awards are based on academic achievement and a statement outlining how the experience will contribute to your development as a global citizen, what you expect to learn, and how you will be an effective ambassador for Western.
Students in professional and graduate programs are assessed based on a statement outlining how this experience will contribute to your development as a global citizen, what you expect to learn that will contribute to your success in your field of study/profession, and how you will be an effective ambassador for Western.
Preference will be given to students who have not received other funding.
Students must complete the online application form along with a statement (500 words maximum) outlining what they expect to learn through their program of study and how they will be an effective ambassador for Western.
Transcripts are required for students who studied elsewhere in the previous academic year.
Students will be automatically considered for any donor-sponsored awards for which they are eligible. A seperate application is not required.
March 14, 2014