Thursday, January 9, 2014
Medical summer student opportunities with the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA)
OPPORTUNITY: The CMPA is offering an outstanding temporary employment opportunity during the summer of 2014 to Canadian medical students who have successfully completed their first or second year of studies. This 6 to 8 week position is designed to give students an opportunity to work with physicians on staff at the CMPA and to learn about medico-legal, patient safety and risk identification issues affecting Canadian physicians.
# OF POSITIONS: 4 medical students
DURATION: 6 to 8 consecutive weeks starting in June 2014
LOCATION: Ottawa, Ontario
SALARY RANGE: $24.00 per hour, 35 hours per week
JOB SUMMARY: CMPA medical students will participate in the development of educational activities for medical trainees. Each student will be an active member of the Risk Management Services (RMS) Education Department and will have the opportunity for mentorship by knowledgeable physicians. Students will be exposed to medico-legal concepts and good practices that will be relevant to their future medical career, whether it be in family medicine or specialty practice. Students will be expected to complete a group and an individual educational project by the end of the traineeship.
QUALIFICATIONS: The program is open to medical students of Canadian medical schools who are eligible to work in Canada and who will have successfully completed their first or second year of medical school.
1. A covering letter explaining your interest in medicine, interest in education and what you hope to gain from spending time at CMPA, what you would bring to the job, and how you might make use of your experience in your own medical school class or school.
2. A detailed resume that includes postsecondary institution(s) and area(s) of study, work, and volunteer experience, as well as research and educational experience, if any.
3. A letter from the dean’s office of the faculty of medicine indicating you are in medical studies and in good standing.
• Successful candidates will be required to provide proof of academic and professional qualifications.
• Travel assistance for one round trip to Ottawa (economy airfare) from a location within Canada is available. There are no funds available for accommodations.
• While fluency in spoken and written English is required of all successful applicants, francophone students are strongly encouraged to apply as the CMPA is a bilingual organization.
The Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA) is a not-for-profit mutual defence organization founded in 1901, representing about 95 percent of physicians licensed to practise in Canada. The CMPA protects the professional integrity of Canadian physicians by providing services including risk management advice and medico-legal assistance. The CMPA also offers educational resources and presentations to manage risk and promote safer patient care.