CMHF Award for Medical Students - Call for Applications
Applications for the 2018 The Canadian Medical Hall of Fame Award for Medical Students are now open.
The Canadian Medical Hall of Fame Award seeks to recognize medical students who demonstrate perseverance, collaboration and show outstanding potential as future leaders and innovators of health care in Canada.
Student Applications: The deadline for students to apply and submit a full application package is Friday May 18th, 2018.
Partial Application Packages will not be accepted.
A selection committee appointed by the Dean of Medicine/Health Sciences will review applications and nominate one student for this Award.
The following criteria are considered by the school’s selection committee:
- Must be a medical student in good standing completing the second year of study (or ready to begin clerkship in the case of a 3 year program).
- Demonstrated leadership through school involvement and/or community-based volunteer projects or extracurricular activities
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills
- Academic excellence with a demonstrated interested in advancing knowledge
- Applicants must be a member of the Canadian Medical Association
Value and Terms:
- Each Award has a cash value of $5,000
- Recipients also receive a complimentary ticket and complimentary economy return travel to The Canadian Medical Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony, scheduled to be held on May 2, 2019 and hosted in association with medical schools across the country. The 2019 CMHF Induction Ceremony will be hosted in association with McGill University Faculty of Medicine, Montreal QC.
- The opportunity to personally meet with Laureates and / or CMHF board members and stakeholders.
- Medical students in good standing completing their second year of study (or ready to begin clerkship in the case of three year programs) may apply
- The deadline for students to submit an application/application package is Friday May 18, 2018.
- Completed application forms must be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org,ca
Completed application packages must be submitted to email@example.com by 11:59 on Friday May 18 2018.
Each application package must contain the following, no exceptions:
- Completed and signed Application Form
- A 1,000 word essay which outlines:
- Why you should be considered for this award – demonstrated leadership, academic excellence and passion about collaboration and innovative thinking in health care leadership
- The qualities of a Laureate of The Canadian Medical Hall of Fame who inspires you to be a future leader and innovator of health care
- A focused Curriculum Vitae (maximum four pages) that demonstrates evidence of academic and leadership achievement, e.g. :
- Papers and publications
- Awards related to leadership, innovation, entrepreneurial spirit and/or effective collaboration (peer recognition, research and academic projects)
- Extracurricular activities in a leadership capacity
- Three letters of support – two from faculty members (not limited to the school you currently attend) and one from the community (employer, coach, supervisor, mentor). Note - these letters of support are an important component in the selection process and should include sufficient information about the candidate to support the nomination.