Lecture Recording & Video On Demand (VOD)
Schulich offers video on demand to instructors, content creators and learners wishing to create or consume video resources. Content can be uploaded into exclusively curated channels or made widely available. Content may also be embedded externally into websites and LMS. To access the VOD, click on the title link above or navigate to https://vod.schulich.uwo.ca.
Lecture Recording & Personal Capture
Schulich has tools and spaces which enable lecturers to capture their lectures using hardware, software, or a combination of the two. To arrange capture assistance, please create a service desk ticket
Record your lecture, presentation or pre-lab talk from your workstation, laptop or mobile device and upload it to the VOD.
For personal capture, it is critical to use the right peripherals. For computers, using a USB headset or USB audio interface is recommended. For recording on mobile devices, it is recommended to use headphones with integrated microphones. Find a mic or headset that works with your set-up.
Shoot and upload video to the VoD from any personal device.
OBS is a free, open-source app designed for producing, capturing and streaming video. Production features such as titles, audio and video filters, desktop capture and many more can be applied live or prior to recording and arranged in scenes, making a fully produced video possible with no editing.
Camtasia is not a free tool, but is recommended for personal capture where a software capture and editing solution is required.
VOD - Record from Browser
A simple, browser based recorder accessible from the VoD.
VOD - Kaltura Capture
The VOD has an integrated capture tool called Kaltura Capture. Kaltura capture allows users to record, tag and upload videos directly to the VOD.
Files uploaded to the VOD must fulfill the following requirements:
- Video name relating to the content
- Tags - necessary for locating content on the server
- should be single-words or short phrases
- ex: instructor surname, date recorded, key words from title, course code
- Must include a description indicating purpose, user group, date recorded and any other useful information for video administrators
- Files uploaded which do not satisfy the requirements above will be removed
Instructions for Content Owners:
How to embed videos from the VOD into OWL:
- Go to the desired video page in the VOD
- Under the video, click 'Share' and then 'Embed'
- The highlighted code is the embeded code to use
- Note that if you change the parameters of the video (ex, size) then re-copy the code
- In OWL, chose video location and 'Embed Content on Page' and paste in the code
- DSB0010 - Software Based Capture
- DSB1002 - Software Based Capture
- HSA101 – Software Based Capture
- HSA127 – Software Based Capture
- MSB105 - Software Based Capture
- MSB146 – Classroom
- MSB148 – Software Based Capture
- MSB282 - Software Based Capture
- MSB384 – Software Based Capture
- WCPHFM1103 – Software Based Capture
- WCPHFM1120 – Software Based Capture
- WCPHFM1150 – Software Based Capture
- WCPHFM1152 – Software Based Capture
A content retention policy exists for content in Schulich's VOD. The policy helps manage the assets and storage capacity of Schulich's VOD service:
If a video entry goes a period of 3 years without a single play, it will be reduced to source-file only.
Content owners will be notified if/when their content is reduced to a single source-file. Content owners will have the choice of downloading the file for their records or deleting the file.
When a video is uploaded to the VOD service, it is transcoded into multiple "flavours". Flavours are copies of an original source video with varying sizes and bitrates; they are created and stored to accommodate various devices and connection speeds. The content retention policy removes additional flavours and returns video entries to source-file only after a period of 3 years of inactivity.