M. Karen Campbell, PhD
- Vice-Provost (Academic Planning, Policy and Faculty), Western University
- Professor, Deparment of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Paediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Western University
- Scientist, Division of Children’s Health and Therapeutics, Children’s Health Research Institute
- Lifestyle during pregnancy.
- Prenatal influences on child health and development.
- Childhood obesity.
- Prenatal and postnatal health services utilization.
- Trajectories of maternal mental health status.
- BSc (Honours) Biophysics
- MESc Biomedical Engineering
- PhD Epidemiology & Biostatistics
Publications since 2012
- Yama, BA, Freeman T, Graves E, Yuan S, Campbell MK (supervisor). Examination of the properties of the modified checklist for autism in toddlers (M-CHAT) in a population sample. Journal of Autism and Affective Disorders. 42(1): 23-24, Jan 2012
- Roy A, Evers SE, Campbell MK (supervisor). Dietary supplement use and iron, zinc and folic acid intake in pregnant women in London Ontario. Chronic Diseases in Canada 33(2): 76-83. March 2012
- Fowler JK, Evers SE, and Campbell MK. Pregnant women are not consuming the minimum number of servings recommended by Canada’s 2007 Food Guide. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research 73: 72-77. doi 10.3148/73.2.2012.72, May 2012
- Youash S, Campbell MK (co-supervisor), Avision W, Penava D, Xie B (co-supervisor). Examining the Pathways of Pre- and Postnatal Health Information, CJPH 103(4):e314-19. June 5 2012
- Campbell MK, Cartier S, Kouniakis G, Huang W, Xie B, Han V. Determinants of Small for Gestational Age Birth at Term: A causal pathways approach. Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology 26: 525-533. DOI: 10.1111/j.1365-3016.2012.01319.x Nov 2012
- Roy A, Campbell MK (supervisor). A unifying framework for depression: bridging the major biological and psychosocial theories through stress. Clinical and Investigative Medicine 36(4): E170-E190. August 2013.
- Sharma V, Xie B, Campbell MK. Pharmacotherapy of bipolar II disorder during and after pregnancy. Current Drug Safety 8(4): 246-52. Sept 2013.
- Hollands S, Campbell MK, Gilliland J, Sarma S. A Spatial Analysis of the Association between Restaurant Density and BMI in Canadian Adults. Preventive Medicine 57: 258-264. doi: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2013.07.002 Oct 2013
- Pope CJ, Xie B, Sharma V, Campbell MK. A prospective study of thoughts of self-harm and suicidal ideation during the post-partum period in women with mood disorders. Arch Womens Mental Health 16(6):483-8. DOI 10.1007/s00737-013-0370-y. Dec 2013.
- Nash DM, Gilliland JA, Evers SE, Wilk P, Campbell MK (supervisor). Determinants of Diet Quality in Pregnancy: Does Neighborhood Food Environment Play a Role? Journal of Nutrition Education and Behaviour, 45(6): 627-34. DOI 10.1016/j.jneb.2013.04.268. Nov-Dec 2013.
- Youash S, Campbell MK (co-supervisor), Avision W, Penava D, Xie B (co-supervisor). Influence of Health Information Levels on Postpartum Depression. Archives of Women's Mental Health 16(6): 489-98. doi: 10.1007/s00737-013-0368-5 Dec 2013.
- Sunderajan K, Campbell MK, Choi Y-H, Sarma S. The Relationship between Diet Quality and Adult Obesity: Evidence from Canada. Journal of the American College of Nutrition 33(1): 1-17. doi10.1080/07315724.2013.848157, January 2014
- Sharma V, Campbell MK, Hampston E. A prospective study of diagnostic conversion of major depressive disorder to bipolar disorder in pregnancy and postpartum. Bipolar Disorders 16(1):16-21. doi: 10.1111/bdi.12140, Feb 2014.
- Hajizadeh M, Campbell MK (co-supervisor), Sarma S (co-supervisor). Socioeconomic Inequalities in Adult Obesity Risk in Canada: Trends and Decomposition Analyses. European Journal of Health Economics 15(2):203-21, DOI 10.1007/s10198-013-0469-0, Mar 2014
- Hollands S, Campbell MK, Gilliland J, Sarma S. Association between Fast-food and Full-service Restaurant Density and BMI: A Cross-sectional Study of Canadian Adults. CJPH 105(3):e172-e178, May 2014.
- Macdonald EM, Natale R, Regnault TR, Koval JJ, Campbell MK (supervisor). Population-Based Placental Weight Ratio Distributions. International Journal of Paediatrics, Volume 2014, epub Article ID 291846. doi: 10.1155/2014/291846. May 2014
- Brown HK, Speechley KN, Macnab J, Renato N, Campbell MK (supervisor). Neonatal morbidity associated with late preterm and early term birth: The roles of gestational age and biological determinants of preterm birth. International Journal of Epidemiology 43(3): 802-814. doi: 10.1093/ije/dyt251. June 2014.
- Sarma S, Zaric G, Campbell MK, Gilliland J. The Effect of Physical Activity on Adult Obesity: Evidence from Canadian NPHS Panel. Economics and Human Biology, 14: 1-21, doi 10.1016/j.ehb.2014.03.002. July 2014
- Macdonald EM, Natale R, Regnault TR, Koval JJ, Campbell MK (supervisor). Obstetric Conditions and the Placental Weight Ratio. Placenta 35(8): 582-586, doi: 10.1016/j.placenta.2014.04.019. August 2014
- Holtz C, Gilliland J, Thind A, Wilk P, Campbell MK (supervisor). Neighbourhood variation and inequity of primary health service use by mothers from London-Middlesex, Ontario. World Health and Population 15(2):32-42, doi: 10.12927/whp.2014.23859 March 2014
- Brown HK, Speechley KN, Macnab J, Renato N, Campbell MK (supervisor). Mild Prematurity, Proximal Social Processes, and Development. Pediatrics 134(3): e814-24. Doi: 10.1542/peds.2013-4092 Sept 2014.
- Sarma S. Devlin RA, Gilliland J, Campbell MK. Zaric G. The Effect of Leisure-time Physical Activity on Obesity, Diabetes, High BP and Heart Disease among Canadians: Evidence from 2000/01 to 2005/06. Health Economics; 24(12): 1531-47, doi: 10.1002/hec.3106 24 December 2015 Epub 23 Sept 2014
- Brown HK, Speechley KN, Macnab J, Renato N, Campbell MK (supervisor). Biological determinants of spontaneous late preterm and early term birth: a retrospective cohort study BJOG 122(4):491-9. Doi: 10.1111/1471-0528.13191 March 2015
- Hajizadeh M, Campbell MK (co-supervisor), S. Sarma (co-supervisor). Spatial Analysis of Adult Obesity in Canada. Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy, DOI: 10.1007/s12061-015-9151-5, online first April 5 2015
- Graves E, Hill D, Evers SE, VanAarsen K, Yama B, Yuan S, Campbell MK (supervisor). The Impact of Maternal Abnormal Glucose Tolerance and Obesity on Fetal Growth. Journal of Diabetes Research, vol. 2015, Article ID 847674, 10 pages, 2015. doi:10.1155/2015/847674. Epub 2015 April 22
- Brown HK, Speechley KN, Macnab J, Renato N, Campbell MK (supervisor). Maternal, Fetal and Placental conditions associated with Medically-Indicated Late Preterm and Early Term Birth: A retrospective cohort study. BJOG 123(5): 763-70. DOI: 10.1111/1471-0528.13428, Epub online first May 15 2015, in issue April 2016
- Larose SL, Kpelitse KA, Campbell MK, Zaric GS, Sarma S. Does obesity influence labour market outcomes among working-age women? Evidence from Canadian longitudinal data. Economics and Human Biology. 20: 26-41 doi 10.1016/j.ehb.2015.09.007 online first Oct 19 2015, in issue March 2016
- Campbell MK. Biological, environmental and social influences on childhood obesity. Pediatric Research 79(1-2): 205-11. DOI: 10.1038/pr.2015.208 online first October 20 10015, in issue January 2016.
- Akiki S, Avison WR, Speechley KN, Campbell MK (supervisor). Determinants of Maternal Antenatal State-Anxiety in mid-preganancy: Role of maternal feelings about the pregnancy. J Affect Disord 2016 May 15: 196: 260-7. Doi:10.1016/j.jad.2016.02.016, online first Feb 18 2016, in issue May 15 2016