M. Karen Campbell, PhD
- Special Advisor to the Provost on Faculty Employment Equity
- Professor, Deparment of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Paediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Western University
- Scientist, Division of Children’s Health and Therapeutics, Children’s Health Research Institute
- Prenatal influences on child health and development.
- Childhood obesity.
- Prenatal and postnatal health services utilization.
- Prenatal and postnatal trajectories of maternal depressive symptoms.
- Global women’s and children’s health.
- BSc (Honours) Biophysics
- MESc Biomedical Engineering
- PhD Epidemiology & Biostatistics
Publications since 2014
- Macdonald EM, Natale R, Regnault TR, Koval JJ, Campbell MK (supervisor). Obstetric Conditions and the Placental Weight Ratio. Placenta 35(8): 582-586, doi: 10.1016/j.placenta.2014.04.019. August 2014
- Brown HK, Speechley KN, Macnab J, Natale R, Campbell MK (supervisor). Mild Prematurity, Proximal Social Processes, and Development. Pediatrics 134(3): e814-24. Doi: 10.1542/peds.2013-4092 Sept 2014.
- Brown HK, Speechley KN, Macnab J, Natale R, Campbell MK (supervisor). Biological determinants of spontaneous late preterm and early term birth: a retrospective cohort study BJOG 122(4):491-9. Doi: 10.1111/1471-0528.13191 March 2015
- Hajizadeh M, Campbell MK, S. Sarma. A Spatial Econometric Analysis of Adult Obesity: Evidence from Canada. Applied Spatial Analysis and Policy, DOI: 10.1007/s12061-015-9151-5, online first April 5 2015
- Graves E, Hill D, Evers SE, VanAarsen K, Yama B, Yuan S, Campbell MK (supervisor). The Impact of Abnormal Glucose Tolerance and Obesity on Fetal Growth. Journal of Diabetes Research, vol. 2015, Article ID 847674, 10 pages, 2015. doi:10.1155/2015/847674. Epub 2015 April 22
- Brown HK, Speechley KN, Macnab J, Natale R, Campbell MK (supervisor). Maternal, Fetal and Placental conditions associated with Medically-Indicated Late Preterm and Early Term Delivery: A retrospective study. BJOG 123(5): 763-70. DOI: 10.1111/1471-0528.13428, Epub online first May 15 2015, in issue April 2016
- Larose SL, Kpelitse KA, Campbell MK, Zaric GS, Sarma S. Does obesity influence labour market outcomes among working-age women? Evidence from Canadian longitudinal data. Economics and Human Biology. 20: 26-41 doi 10.1016/j.ehb.2015.09.007 online first Oct 19 2015, in issue March 2016
- Campbell MK. Biological, environmental and social influences on childhood obesity. Pediatric Research 79(1-2): 205-11. DOI: 10.1038/pr.2015.208 online first October 20 10015, in issue January 2016.
- Akiki S, Avison WR, Speechley KN, Campbell MK (supervisor). Determinants of Maternal Antenatal State-Anxiety in mid-pregnancy: Role of maternal feelings about the pregnancy . J Affect Disord 2016 May 15: 196: 260-7. Doi:10.1016/j.jad.2016.02.016, online first Feb 18 2016, in issue May 15 2016
- Goodwin SW, Wilk P, Campbell MK (advisory committee), Speechley KN. Emotional Well-Being in Children with Epilepsy: Family Factors as Mediators and Moderators. Epilepsia 58(11): 1912-1919. November 2017
- Holtz C, Gilliland J, Thind A, Wilk P, Campbell MK (supervisor). Inequitable health service use in a Canadian paediatric population: A cross-sectional study of individual- and contextual-level factors. Child: Care, Health & Development, 44(2): 188-194. DOI: 10.1111/cch.12489, online July 2017, in issue March 2018
Nunes S, Campbell MK (co-supervisor), Klar N, Reid GJ, Stranges S. Relationships between sleep and internalizing problems in early adolescence: Results from Canadian National Longitudinal Survey of Children and Youth. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, Volume 139, December 2020