Kathy Speechley, PhD
P: 519.685.8500 ext: 52182
- Departments of Paediatrics
- Scientist, Children’s Health Research Institute, Lawson Health Research Institute
- Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Research Cluster Membership
- Chronic Disease & Multimorbidity
- Marginalized Populations & Social Determinants of Health
- Mental Health
- Epidemiological Observational Studies
- Program & Policy Evaluation
- Quality of life in children living with chronic illness: trajectories and determinants
- Social determinants of child health
- Relationship between maternal and child health
- Health survey methodology
- BA Sociology
- MAd Sociology
- PhD Epidemiology & Biostatistics
Recent Research Grants
- KN Speechley, ML Smith, CS Camfield, S Wiebe, GY Zou, S.D. Levin Canadian Institutes of Health Research, “Health-related quality of life in children with epilepsy: the first two years after diagnosis in parents’ eyes”
- MK Campbell, KN Speechley, WR Avison, A Sorenson, AD Bocking, OP da Silva, JS Hoch, SO Vlaicu. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, “Maternal and Infant Health, Health Services Needs and Utilization Following Term and Preterm Birth, Outcomes in a Cohort Assembled Antenatally”
- VKM Han, SL Adamson, WR Avison, MK Campbell, R Gagnon, DJ Hill, TY Lee, M Mann, BS Richardson, KN Speechley, RT Thompson, K Yang. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, “Fetal Growth Restriction: Mechanisms and Outcomes”
- WR Avison, LE Davies, MV Ford-Gilboe, P Sealy, KN Speechley. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, “A Life Course Analysis of Family Structure, Stress, and Mothers’ Mental Health: Setting the Stage for a Prospective Study of Families”
- J Gilliland, WR Avison, J Fleming, C Gobert, P Hess, KN Speechley, H Prapavessis, P Wilk Heart and Stroke Foundation, “Identifying casual effects of the built environment on physical activity, diet and obesity among children”
- KN Speechley, MA Ferro, ML Smith, CS Camfield, S Wiebe, GY Zou, SD Levin. Canadian Institutes of Health Research, “Health-related Quality of Life in Children with New-Onset Epilepsy: A Long-term Follow-Up
- A.L.C. Martiniuk, K.N. Speechley, M. Secco, M. K. Campbell, A. Martiniuk “Development and psychometric properties of the “Thinking About Epilepsy” questionnaire assessing children’s knowledge and attitudes about epilepsy” Epilepsy and Behavior. 10(4):595-603, 2007.
- A.L.C. Martiniuk, K.N. Speechley, M. Secco, M. K. Campbell, A Donner “Evaluation of an epilepsy education program for grade five students: a cluster randomized trial” Epilepsy & Behavior. 10(4):604-10, 2007.
- J.M. Sontrop, M.K. Campbell, S.E. Evers, K.N. Speechley, W.R. Avison “Fish consumption among pregnant women in London, Ontario: Associations with sociodemographic and health and lifestyle factors” Canadian Journal of Public Health. 98(5): 389-394, 2007.
- A.D.Hill, E. Vingilis, C.M. Martin, K. Hartford, K.N. Speechley “Interhospital transfer of critically ill patients: Demographic and outcomes comparison with nontransferred intensive care unit patients.” Journal of Critical Care. 22(4):290-5, 2007.
- J. Sontrop, M. K.Campbell, W.R. Avison, S.E. Evers, K. N. Speechley “Depressive symptoms during pregnancy in relation to fish consumption and intake of n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids.” Paediatric and Perinatal Epidemiology. 22(4):389-399, 2008
- T. Principi, G.C. Morrison, D.M. Matsui, K.N. Speechley, J.A. Seabrook, R.N. Singh, A. Kornecki. “Elective Tracheostomy in Mechanically Ventilated Children in Canada.” Intensive Care Medicine. 34:1498-1502, 2008
- K. Carswell, Y. Chen, R.C. Nair, A.K. Shaw, K.N. Speechley, M.Barrera, E, Maunsell Smoking and binge drinking among Canadian survivors of childhood and adolescent cancers: a comparative, population-based study.” Pediatric Blood and Cancer, 51(2):337-342, 2008
- K.N. Speechley, X. Sang, S. Levin, G. Zou , M. Eliasziw, M. L. Smith, C. Camfield, S.Wiebe. Asessing severity of epilepsy in children: Preliminary evidence of validity and reliability of a single-item scale.” Epilepsy & Behavior. 13(2):337-342, 2008
- M.A. Ferro, K.N. Speechley "Complementary and Alternative Medicine Use in Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis: A Systematic Review of Prevalence and Evidence," Journal of Complementary and Integrative Medicine 5(I), Article 33, 2008
- J.N. Bondy, A.Thind, J.J. Koval, K.N. Speechley “Identifying the determinants of childhood immunization in the Philippines.” Vaccine, 27:169-175, 2009
- M.A. Ferro and K.N. Speechley “Depressive symptoms among mothers of children with epilepsy: a review of prevalence, associated factors, and impact on children” Epilepsia, 50(11):2344-2354, 2009
- A.L.C. Martiniuk, M. Secco, K.N. Speechley "Knowledge translation strategies using the Thinking about Epilepsy program as a case study," Health Promotion Practice, Feb. 15, 2010 Epub ahead of print. Health Promotion Practice Volume 12 Issue 3, 2011
- K.N. Speechley and J. Nisker “Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis in Canada: A Survey of Canadian IVF Units” Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Canada, 32(4):341-347, 2010
- M.A. Ferro, W.R.. Avison, M.K. Campbell, K.N. Speechley “Do depressive symptoms affect mothers’ reports of child outcomes in children with new-onset epilepsy?” Journal of Quality of Life Research 19(7): 955-964, 2010
- A.L.C. Martiniuk, M. Secco, L. Yake, K.N. Speechley “Evaluating the effect of a television public service announcement about epilepsy” Health Education Research 2010 doi: 10.1093/her/cyq058 First published online: October 1, 2010
- M.A. Ferro, W.R. Avison, M.K. Campbell, K.N. Speechley “Prevalence and Trajectories of Depressive Symptoms in Mothers of Children with Newly-Diagnosed Epilepsy” Epilepsia 52(2): 316-325, 2011
- M.A. Ferro, W.R. Avison, M.K. Campbell, K.N. Speechley “The Impact of Maternal Depressive Symptoms on Health-Related Quality of Life in Children with Epilepsy: A Prospective Study of Family Environment as Mediators and Moderators” Epilepsia 52(2): 326-336, 2011
- M.A. Ferro and K. N. Speechley “Examining clinically relevant levels of depressive symptoms in mothers following a diagnosis of epilepsy in their children: a prospective analysis” Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology 2011 DOI 10.1007/s00127-011-0447-8 First published on line: November 9, 2011
- C .Prasad, K.N. Speechley, S. Dyack, C.A. Rupar, P. Chakraborty, J.B. Kronick "Incidence of Medium-Chain Acyl-CoA Dehydrogenase Deficiency (MCADD) In Canada Using the Canadian Paediatric Surveillance Program (CPSP): Role of Newborn Screening" Paediatrics & Child Health In press.
- M.A. Ferro and K.N. Speechley “What About Dads? An Exploratory Analysis of Depressive Symptoms in Paternal Primary Caregivers of Children with Epilepsy” Epilepsy and Behavior In press.