Greta Bauer, PhD
ProfessorP:519.661.2111 ext: 86262
- Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Women’s Studies and Feminist Research
Research Cluster Membership
- Marginalized Populations & Social Determinants of Health (Leader)
- Mental Health
- Biostatistical & Computational Methods
- Epidemiological Observational Studies
- Health Services Research
- Knowledge Translation
- Intersectionality and research methods
- LGBT health
- Community-based epidemiology
- Validity issues in observational studies
- Methodologic and ethical issues in studying hidden populations
- BS Health and Health Care
- MPH Epidemiology
- PhD Epidemiology
Current Recent Research Grants
- Trans PULSE Canada: A National Survey of Transgender Health (Principal Investigator, CIHR)
- Transgender Youth in Clinical Care: A Pan-Canadian Cohort Study of Medical, Social and Family Outcomes (Principal Investigator, CIHR)
- Improving Quantitative Research Methods in Gender, Sex and Population Health: Theory, Empirical Evidence, and Development of Applications for Multi-dimensionality and Intersectionality (Principal Investigator, CIHR)
Publications (past 5 years)
* Indicates author was current or former student under my primary supervision.
- Shokoohi M,* Bauer GR, Kaida A, Milloy M-J, LloydSmith E, Lacombe-Duncan A, Logie C, Carter A, Loutfy M. A latent class analysis of the social determinants of health impacting heavy alcohol consumption among women living with HIV in Canada. AIDS and Behavior 2019;Published online in advance of print.
- Shokoohi M,* Bauer GR, Kaida A, Logie C, Lacombe-Duncan A, Milloy M-J, LloydSmith E, Carter A, Loutfy M. Patterns of social determinants of health associated with drug use among women living with HIV in Canada: A latent class analysis. Addiction. 2019;Published online in advance of print.
- Bauer GR, Scheim AI.* Advancing quantitative intersectionality research methods: Intracategorical and intercategorical approaches to shared and differential constructs [author response to four invited commentaries]. Social Science & Medicine 2019;226:260-262.
- Bauer GR, Scheim AI.* Methods for analytic intercategorical intersectionality in quantitative research: Discrimination as a mediator of health inequalities. Social Science & Medicine 2019;226:236-245.
- Scheim AI,* Bauer GR. The Intersectional Discrimination Index: Development and validation of measures of self-reported enacted and anticipated discrimination. Social Science & Medicine 2019;226:225-235.
- Shokoohi M,* Bauer GR, Kaida A, Lacombe-Duncan A, Kazemi M, Gagnier B, de Pokomandy A, Loutfy M, on behalf of the CHIWOS Research Team. Social determinants of health and self-rated health status: A comparison between women living with HIV and women without HIV from the general population in Canada. PLOS ONE 2019;14(3):e0213901.
- Scheim AI,* Bauer GR. Sexual inactivity among transfeminine persons: A Canadian respondent-driven sampling survey. Journal of Sex Research 2019;56(2):264-271.
- Shokoohi M,* Karamouzian M, Bauer G, Sharifi H, Hooshyar SH, Mirzazadeh A. Drug use patterns and associated factors among female sex workers in Iran. Addictive Behaviors 2019;90:40-47.
- Shokoohi M,* Bauer GR, Kaida A, Lacombe-Duncan A, Kazemi M, Gagnier B, de Pokomandy A, Loutfy M, on behalf of the CHIWOS Research Team. Substance use patterns among women living with HIV compared with the general female population of Canada. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 2018;191:70-77.
- Scheim AI,* Zong X,* Giblon R,* Bauer GR. Disparities in access to family physicians among transgender people in Ontario, Canada. International Journal of Transgenderism 2017;18(3):343-352.
- Munro L, Marshall Z, Bauer G, Hammond R, Nault C, Travers R. (Dis)integrated care: Barriers to health care utilization for trans women living with HIV. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care 2017;28(5):708-722.
- Brennan DJ, Bauer GR, Bradley K, Tran OV. Methods used and topics addressed in quantitative health research on gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men: A systematic review of the literature. Journal of Homosexuality 2017;64(11):1519-1538.
- Blot S,* Bauer GR, Fraser M, Nleya M, Wadham M. AIDS service organization access among African, Caribbean and other Black residents of an average Canadian city. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 2017;19(4):851-860.
- Bauer GR, Braimoh J, Scheim AI,* Dharma C.* Transgender-inclusive measures of sex/gender for population surveys: Mixed-methods evaluation and recommendations. PLOS ONE 2017;12(5):e0178043.
- Giblon R,* Bauer GR. Health care availability, quality, and unmet need: A comparison of transgender and cisgender residents of Ontario. BMC Health Services Research 2017;17:283.
- Scheim AI,* Bauer GR, Shokoohi M.* Drug use among transgender people in Ontario, Canada: Disparities and associations with social exclusion. Addictive Behaviors 2017;72:151-158.
- Dharma C,* Bauer GR. Understanding sexual orientation and health in Canada: Who are we capturing and who are we missing using the Statistics Canada sexual orientation question? Canadian Journal of Public Health 2017;108(1):e21-e26.
- Bauer GR, Giblon R,* Coleman TA,* Aykroyd G, Fraser M, Pugh D. Community acceptance and HIV risk among gay and bisexual men in a ‘typical’ Canadian city. Canadian Journal of Human Sexuality 2017;26(1):7-16.
- Scheim AI,* Bauer GR, Travers R. HIV-related sexual risk among transgender men who are gay, bisexual, or have sex with men. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 2017;74(4):e89-e96.
- Coleman TA,* Bauer GR, Pugh D, Aykroyd G, Powell L, Newman R. Sexual orientation disclosure in primary care settings by gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men in a Canadian city. LGBT Health 2017;4(1):42-54.
- Coleman TA,* Bauer GR, Aykroyd G, Powell L, Pugh D. Mental health service use in a sample of gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men in Middlesex County, Ontario, Canada: An exploratory analysis. Canadian Journal of Community Mental Health 2016:35(3):1-24.
- Scheim AI,* Bauer GR, Shokoohi M.* Heavy episodic drinking among transgender persons: Disparities and predictors. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 2016;167:156-162.
- Scheim AI,* Bauer GR, Coleman TA.* Sociodemographic differences by survey mode in a respondent-driven sampling study of transgender people in Ontario, Canada. LGBT Health 2016;3(5):391-395.
- Bowleg L, Bauer GR. Invited reflection: Quantifying intersectionality [invited commentary]. Psychology of Women Quarterly 2016;40(3):337341.
- Bauer GR, Flanders C, MacLeod M,* Ross LE. Occurrence of multiple mental health or substance use outcomes among bisexuals. BMC Public Health 2016;16:497.
- Ross LE, O’Gorman L, MacLeod MA,* Bauer GR, MacKay J, Robinson M. Bisexual identity, socioeconomic status, and mental health: A mixed-methods analysis. Social Science & Medicine 2016;156:64-72.
- Baidoobonso S,* Bauer G, Speechley KN, Lawson E. Social and proximate determinants of the frequency of condom use among African, Caribbean, and other Black people in a Canadian city: Results from the BLACCH Study. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health 2016;18:67-85.
- Bauer GR, Zong X,* Scheim AI,* Hammond R, Thind A. Factors impacting transgender patients’ discomfort with their family physicians: A respondent-driven sampling survey. PLOS ONE 2015;10(12):e0145046.
- MacLeod MA,* Bauer GR, Robinson M, MacKay J, Ross LE. Biphobia and anxiety among bisexuals in Ontario, Canada. Journal of Gay & Lesbian Mental Health 2015;19(3):217-243.
- Pyne J, Bauer GR, Bradley K. Transphobia and other stressors impacting trans parents in Ontario, Canada. Journal of GLBT Family Studies 2015;11(2):107-126.
- Lewis NM, Bauer GR, Coleman TA,* Blot S,* Pugh D, Fraser M, Powell L. Community cleavages: Gay and bisexual men’s perceptions of gay and mainstream community acceptance in the post-AIDS, post-rights era. Journal of Homosexuality 2015;62(9):1201-1227.
- Bauer GR, Scheim AI,* Pyne J, Travers R, Hammond R. Intervenable factors associated with suicide risk in transgender persons: A respondent-driven sampling study in Ontario, Canada [Highly accessed article]. BMC Public Health 2015;15:525.
- MacLeod MA,* Bauer GR, MacKay J, Robinson M, Ross LE. Notes on measuring posttraumatic stress disorder in bisexuals using the PTSD Checklist – Civilian version (PCL-C). Journal of Bisexuality 2015;15(1):69-81.
- Bauer GR, Hammond R. Toward a broader conceptualization of trans women’s sexual health [invited paper]. Canadian Journal of Human Sexuality 2015;24(1):1-11.
- Scheim AI,* Bauer GR. Sex and gender diversity among transgender persons in Ontario, Canada: Results from a respondent-driven sampling survey. Journal of Sex Research. 2015;52(1):1-14.
- Ross LE, Bauer GR, MacLeod MA,* Robinson M, MacKay J, Dobinson C. Mental health and substance use among bisexual youth and non-youth in Ontario, Canada. PLoS ONE 2014;9(8):e101604.
- Bauer GR, Scheim AI,* Deutsch MB, Massarella C. Reported emergency department avoidance, utilization and experiences of transgender persons in Ontario, Canada: Results from a respondent-driven sampling survey. Annals of Emergency Medicine 2014;63(6):713-720.
- Bauer GR. Incorporating intersectionality theory into population health research: Challenges and the potential to advance health equity. Social Science & Medicine 2014;110:10-17.