Greta Bauer, PhD
ProfessorP:519.661.2111 ext: 86262
- Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics
Research Cluster Membership
- Marginalized Populations & Social Determinants of Health (Leader)
- Mental Health
- Biostatistical & Computational Methods
- Epidemiological Observational Studies
- Health Services Research
- Knowledge Translation
- LGBT health
- Community-based epidemiology
- Validity issues in observational studies
- Methodologic and ethical issues in studying hidden populations
- Public health ethics
- Viral sexually transmitted infections (STIs): HIV-1, HSV-2, HPV
- BS Health and Health Care
- MPH Epidemiology
- PhD Epidemiology
Current Recent Research Grants
- Transgender Youth in Clinical Care: A Pan-Canadian Cohort Study of Medical, Social and Family Outcomes (Principal Investigator, CIHR)
- Improving Quantitative Research Methods in Gender, Sex and Population Health: Theory, Empirical Evidence, and Development of Applications for Multi-dimensionality and Intersectionality (Principal Investigator, CIHR)
- Canadian HIV Women’s Sexual and Reproductive Health Cohort Study Phase 2: Addressing Priorities in Women-Centred HIV Care Across the Life Course (co-investigator, CIHR)
- Blot S, Bauer GR, Fraser M,
NleyaM, Wadham M. AIDS service organizationaccess among African, Caribbean and other Black residents of an average Canadian city. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health. Published online in advance of print.
- Bauer GR, Zong X,
ScheimAI, Hammond R, Thind A. Factors impacting transgender patients’ discomfort with their family physicians: A respondent-driven sampling survey. PLoS ONE 2015;10(12):e0145046.
- Bauer GR,
ScheimAI, Pyne J, Travers R, Hammond R. Intervenable factors associated with suicide risk in transgender persons: A respondent-driven sampling study in Ontario, Canada [Highly accessed article]. BMC Public Health 2015;15:525.
- Bauer GR, Hammond R. Toward a broader conceptualization of trans women’s sexual health [invited paper]. Canadian Journal of Human Sexuality 2015;24(1):1-11.
ScheimAI, Bauer GR. Sex and gender diversity among transgender persons in Ontario, Canada: Results from a respondent-driven sampling survey. Journal of Sex Research. 2015;52(1):1-14.
- Ross LE, Bauer GR, MacLeod MA, Robinson M, MacKay J, Dobinson C. Mental health and substance use among bisexual youth and non-youth in Ontario, Canada. PLoS ONE 2014;9(8):e101604.
- Bauer GR,
ScheimAI, Deutsch MB, Massarella C. Reported emergency department avoidance, utilizationand experiences of transgender persons in Ontario, Canada: Results from a respondent-driven sampling survey. Annals of Emergency Medicine 2014;63(6):713-720.
- Bauer GR. Incorporating
intersectionalitytheory into population health research: Challenges and the potential to advance health equity. Social Science & Medicine 2014;110:10-17. ScheimAI, Jackson R, James E, Dopler TS, Pyne J, Bauer GR. Well-beingof Aboriginal gender-diverse people: Results from the Trans PULSE Project in Ontario, Canada. Ethnicity and Inequalities in Health and Social Care 2013;6(4):108-120.
- Marcellin RL, Bauer GR,
ScheimAI. Intersecting impacts of transphobia and racism on HIV risk among trans persons of colour in Ontario, Canada. Ethnicity and Inequalities in Health and Social Care 2013;6(4):97-107.
- Bauer GR, Pyne J, Francino MC, Hammond R. Suicidality among trans people in Ontario: Implications for social work and social justice / La suicidabilité parmi les personnes trans en Ontario: Implications en travail social et en justice sociale.Revue Service social 2013;59(1):35-62 .
- Rotondi NK, Bauer GR, Scanlon K,
KaayM, Travers R, Travers A. Non-prescribed hormone use and self-performed surgeries: “Do-it-yourself” transitions in Ontario, Canada’s transgender communities. American Journal of Public Health2013;103(10):1830-1836.
- Bauer GR, Redman N, Bradley K,
ScheimA. Sexual health of trans men who are gay, bisexual, or who have sex with men: Results from Ontario, Canada. International Journal of Transgenderism 2013;14:66-74.
- Bauer GR, Brennan DJ. The problem with “
behavioralbisexuality”: Assessing sexual orientation in survey research. Journal of Bisexuality 2013;13(2):148-165.
- Baidoobonso S, Bauer GR, Speechley KN, Lawson E. HIV risk perception and distribution of HIV risk among African, Caribbean, and other Black people: Mixed methods results from the BLACCH Study. BMC Public Health 2013;13:184.
- Bauer GR. It’s all in the context: Structural and psychosocial challenges to HIV prevention with transgender women. In: Gahagan J (editor). Women and HIV in Canada. Toronto: Canadian Scholars’ Press, 2013.
- Bauer GR. Making sure everyone counts: Considerations for inclusion, identification, and analysis of transgender and transsexual participants in health surveys. In: CIHR Institute of Gender and Health. The Gender, Sex and Health Research Casebook: What a Difference Sex and Gender Make. Vancouver: CIHR Institute of Gender and Health, 2012: 59-67.
- Bauer GR, Travers R, Scanlon K, Coleman T. High heterogeneity of HIV-related sexual risk among transgender people in Ontario, Canada: A province-wide respondent-driven sampling survey [Highly accessed article]. BMC Public Health2012;12:292.
- Bauer GR, Khobzi N, Coleman TA. Herpes simplex virus type-2 seropositivity and relationship status among U.S. adults age 20 to 49: A population-based analysis [highly accessed article]. BMC Infectious Diseases 2010;10:359.
- Bauer GR, Jairam JA, Baidoobonso SM. Sexual health, risk
behaviorsand substance use in heterosexual-identified women with female sex partners: 2002 U.S. National Survey of Family Growth. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 2010 37(9):531-537.
- Bauer GR, Hammond R, Travers R,
KaayM, Hohenadel KM, Boyce M. “I don’t think this is theoretical; this is our lives.” How erasure impacts health care for transgender people. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care2009;20(5):348-361.
- Bauer GR, Jairam JA. Are lesbians really women who have sex with women (WSW)? Methodological concerns in health research on sexual minority women. Women & Health 2008;48(4):383-408.
- Welles SL, Bauer GR, LaRussa PS, Colgrove RC, Pitt J, for the Women and Infants Transmission Study. Time trends for HIV-1 antiretroviral resistance among antiretroviral-experienced and -naïve pregnant New York City women during 1991 to early 2001. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 2007;44(3):329-335
- Bauer GR, Colgrove RC, LaRussa P, Pitt J, Welles SL, for the WITS Study Team. Antiretroviral resistance mutations in viral isolates from HIV-1-transmitting mothers and their infants. AIDS 2006;20:1707-1712.
- Saewyc EM, Bauer GR, Skay C, Bearinger LH, Resnick MD, Reis E, Murphy A. Measuring sexual orientation in adolescent health surveys: Evaluation of eight school-based studies. Journal of Adolescent Health 2004;35(4):345.e1-e15.
- Bauer GR, Welles SL, Colgrove RC, Pitt J, WITS Study Team. Zidovudine resistance phenotype and risk of perinatal HIV-1 transmission in zidovudine monotherapy-treated mothers with moderately advanced disease. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 2003;34(3):312-319.
- Bauer GR, Welles SL. Beyond assumptions of negligible risk: Sexually transmitted diseases and women who have sex with women. American Journal of Public Health 2001;91(8):1282-1286.