Discovery Week 2021 Program Update:
In discussion with our regional leaders and partners of Distributed Education, we are announcing that, for the 2020-21 academic year, Discovery Week will not be offered to Year 1 and 2 classes.
We regret this decision, supported by the Curriculum Committee that was reached to respect public health guidelines
About Discovery Week
Discovery Week is a mandatory one-week placement at the end of the first year for all undergraduate medical students at the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry. Learners are placed in more than 60 rural and regional communities in Southwestern Ontario.
Students will have the opportunity to:
- shadow physicians, healthcare
professionalsand learn what their typical workday encompasses
- networking with the various health care teams
- experience rural and regional living in communities throughout southwestern Ontario
Discovery Week Goals
Introduce all undergraduate medical students at the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry to the opportunities and challenges of living and working in a rural or regional community. Involve students first-hand
Discovery Week Objectives
Every placement is unique. These four areas of focus will vary depending upon the site. Students will have opportunities for these experiences through varying disciplines and with a variety of healthcare professionals.
- Orientation and Awareness: This will provide an opportunity for students to become familiar with the parameters, dynamics, and systems involved in rural/regional medical practice.
- Inter-Professional Education/ Inter-Professional Care (IPE/IPC): This experience is to provide exposure to teamwork and collaboration undertaken within a rural/regional site.
- Medical Care in a Rural/Regional Site (with a focus on
acuteor chronic disease): This will allow an opportunity for students to develop an understanding of the challenges of delivering and receiving acute or chronic care within a rural/regional site.
- Working with Diverse Populations: This will provide an opportunity for students to develop an awareness of the challenge with chronic/acute disease management in diverse patient populations.
Discovery Week Videos
Sarnia Grand Rapids